CISA this June any advice for my 2nd Attempt !!:)

<<

dimo

Post Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am

CISA this June any advice for my 2nd Attempt !!:)

Hi I'm finally getting back to an attempt at CISA again, I did a course on this in 2009 during a busy personal and professional time for me and basically I flunked the exam :o, I'm going over old notes and looking at the areas where I was week- :-[ :-[obviously the Audit side of things as I have little experience being a techie, any tips from people who passed would be greatly appreciated  :-\

I found the way the exam was run to be like something from the dark ages but thats maybe because I've become used to fast efficent test centres with no paper based exams , from what I read it hasn't changed much, as said any pointers would be great.
C|EH C|HFI ECSA Comptia Security +
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 am

Re: CISA this June any advice for my 2nd Attempt !!:)

dimo wrote:I found the way the exam was run to be like something from the dark ages but

Yes, I believe a sacrifice of some sort of livestock is customary on the eve of the exam.

I got the most out of ISACA's practice exams. Being forced to critically think about the material and gaining an understanding of why they felt each answer was or wasn't correct was very beneficial. The key is to think like the auditor they want you to be and answer the way they're expecting.

The official guide was an extremely difficult read. It felt like it was hundreds of pages of bullet points, and it's hard to tell if that resource was of any value. It's been a couple years though, so maybe that's better now.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

sil

Post Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 am

ajohnson wrote:The official guide was an extremely difficult read. It felt like it was hundreds of pages of bullet points, and it's hard to tell if that resource was of any value. It's been a couple years though, so maybe that's better now.

Hrmm yea... No its not better. I often got tunnel vision going through CISM stuff and wasn't sure if I wanted to choke the authors of the content or myself for bothering with it. What I did notice about ISACA in correlation to the "hardcore technies" (you know... people who don't live in Spreadsheet world) is... Don't apply any technical thought into anything related to ISACA. The more business driven drivel you can concoct for an answer, the higher likelihood you will get the right answer.
<<

alucian

Post Wed May 09, 2012 11:58 am

I agree, you have to forget about the technical stuff in the exam. CISA is the worst. For CISM you still learn something useful, and related to security (at least some project management infos), but CISA... There is a chapter in it about security, and they cover it pretty good (for this level). In the exam the only "technical" question was something like what is https (or when you use it). That's all. This exam is made for the accountants not for security people.

Also, the manuals are still dry. You need a lot of discipline in order to read them.

Practice the questionnaire and you are good for the exam.

Good Luck!
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

dimo

Post Sat May 12, 2012 2:31 pm

alucian, sil, ajohnson

its great to get your feedback, glad to see opinions I recognize,, I'll give it another go and try to change my brain away from tech slightly  ;D ;D 
C|EH C|HFI ECSA Comptia Security +
<<

maanav

Post Thu May 24, 2012 3:53 am

1. Remember all the bullet'd stuff in CRM (CISA Review Manual) and their order as many questions come in "which one of these is/is NOT primary means", etc.

2. It would help if you remember that business is the primary driver, and in case of controversial stuff, one that is closer to business is usually the winner.

3. CRM is where all the questions come from, so no matter what reference material you study to understand stuff, make sure that you read the relevant CRM material too.

4. It would help if you have their question bank (with answers :), as it would help you see their point of view)

While i am all game for technical security stuff (is the reason y i study it, and i like it), compliance gives you 20K feet view of information security, something which is required, no matter the current stage of your career.

And all the best for the exams!

Return to General Certification