SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert (SPSE)

<<

ZeroOne

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 am

SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert (SPSE)

Thinking about taking this course:

http://securitytube-training.com/certif ... /?id=video

any one out there had experience with them? does this helps in the security field?

Thanks
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:55 am

Re: SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert (SPSE)

It was just released a couple of days ago, so there probably isn't anyone who can provide a comprehensive review at this point (the second half of the course was just released this morning). However, Vivek does consistently put out high-quality material, and several people here, including myself, have signed up for this. The syllabus definitely covers practical, real-world Python usage, so you will likely find it beneficial.

There's another thread with some more details here: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... topic,8695
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Shock

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:58 am

Yep, the courses that security tube puts out are typically the best resource you will find for their price.

just keep in mind that your getting the course for the knowledge and the cert means very little in the real world.
<<

the_Grinch

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

I signed up for the course.  The cert is a nice bonus, but yeah the skills/knowledge is my aim.
BS-CST Security+

Blog:  http://havewire.blogspot.com/
<<

r2s

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

I've watched a couple of videos from the course so far and I can definitely say this is looking good (admittedly I am not a programmer). As was said above, SecTube always pumps out quality material and I'm sure this course will give me a strong foundation in python that will only augment my progression in infosec.
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

vp75

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 pm

I remember this course has been launched atleast couple of months back.....Good one to learn for sure as it is from security tube...
eCPPT
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:44 pm

vp75 wrote:I remember this course has been launched atleast couple of months back.....Good one to learn for sure as it is from security tube...

You might be thinking of the Joe McCray course. This one has been on pre-order for awhile, and the videos were just released this week.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Has anyone taken the course? If so, can you please provide some sort of "small" review. I'm very interested in purchasing the course (not really for the certification but the 9 hours of video).
OSCP in progress
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:43 am

i think its better to learn perl then python its my idea. Anyway securitytube.net is always great
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:50 am

Cyber.spirit wrote:i think its better to learn perl then python its my idea. Anyway securitytube.net is always great

Could you please explain why you believe it's better to learn Perl over Python? I'd be interested to know. From what I've read on the forums the general consensus would suggest that Python would be the better choice.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 am

ofcourse python is much useful and better than perl but perl is easier and for beginner it gives u the idea about exploition and so on.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 am

Cyber.spirit wrote:i think its better to learn perl then python its my idea.[...]

I'll counter that, much prefer python, and from my experience I'd definitely question the thinking behind Perl being easier for a beginner.

My reasoning is largely non-technical; I find some of Perl's idiosyncrasies a nightmare to get my head around, especially if I've not coded for a while and need to knock a quick script up. In comparison as Python's syntax and formatting focuses on whitespace, most Python code looks and feels similar when trying to come back and update something later.

I'm not a developer by any stretch of the imagination, but I can generally write code (badly) in any language. I'd suggest just picking a language that feels comfortable and starting there, if you need to change to a different language a lot of what you learn will be transferable (I started with VB and PHP, yuck).

For a beginner I've been suggesting python purely based on the additional support and guidance available through the securitytube resources.
<<

sternone

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 am

Cyber.spirit wrote:ofcourse python is much useful and better than perl but perl is easier and for beginner it gives u the idea about exploition and so on.

Python and Perl can do exactly the same. Why would Python be more useful than Perl ?

Why does Perl gives you a better idea for exploitation?

Perl is not at all easier for a beginner, Perl is more confusing than Python.

Your post doesn't make any sense to me, do you program in both languages to make such a statement ?

I feel like you're just spitting one liner statements here without any experienced funding.
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:25 am

I programmed Perl back in my 'school days', and now MUCH prefer python.  The language, as a whole, is simpler to follow and understand, and there are plenty of resources available.

See if you can find (or buy) a copy of the following:

http://www.manning.com/sande/   (Hello World, by Sande)

While it's written for teaching kids, it takes concepts like basic game creation, and teaches around them, so you don't get uber bored.  I know plenty of folks, whom I've recommended it to, who have used it for a fast, 'up-to-speed' reference, and it'll get you started, quickly.  I have a copy, somewhere (just moved, and not unpacked, yet), that I occasionally peek into, if I need a quick, basic reminder.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:15 am

as i said over and over python is newer and better and more useful but i started with perl and im not sad coz i learnt exploitation with it. It gives me idea about how to write exploits thats all i agree with all of u

Return to Network Pen Testing