Juniper Networks Certs...

<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:33 am

Juniper Networks Certs...

Ok this was the only place I could think to post this...

In a few days I will be taking the JNCIA cert exam and I have only self studied. Has anyone else taken this exam and what did you think of it if you did take it.

I know most of the members here are more streamed lined with Security Certs but I am a Router Engineer that also plays in Network Security.

Slimjim100
Last edited by slimjim100 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Juniper Networks Certs...

Which track are you taking? I know some people that got the Firewall/VPN cert and they simply printed out a test king, studied for a day and passed with near perfect scores. That kinda discouraged me from taking it since I knew it was crap. From what they said, it covered the GUI much more then the command line stuff.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:37 pm

Yea I am not looking at the Netscreen VPN stuff. I work on Juniper M20, M320, & M640's the big ones. I am looking to the M series track and I do not plan on using any cheat sheets. I have my Cisco certs and I want to show that my routing skills are on many platforms as the company I work for uses the best vendor for the application (RiverStone, Cisco, Motorola, Juniper, Foundry, Cuda, Force 10, and many more). I play on so many different kinds of routers I want to prove my competency. Anyway I noticed the juniper certs where starting to show up on job sites are requirements. Anyone here have any large scale routing experience (BGP4 or OSPF [many areas])?

Slimjim100
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:55 pm

Good news I passed the Juniper JNCIA test! I got a 98 out of 100. Now to move on to the other Juniper certs... Anyway I know this is not very Security related but I wanted to let everyone I know here that I passed it.

Slimjim100
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Congratulations.  :D So did you find the exam difficult or easy? What study material did you use and was it helpful?

BTW, all my networking knowledge comes from a series of Nortel courses that I did. Even though I don't work daily with Nortel routers and switches I still highly recommend doing some of their courses. When I finished I got my NNCSS on the Passport 8600. I also did Cisco's ICND course.

slimjim100 wrote:Anyone here have any large scale routing experience (BGP4 or OSPF [many areas])?

I work at present for an ISP (I'm changing jobs soon). My work is partly tech support in the Networking Support Centre and mostly doing shifts in the NOC. While I do have access to the entire backbone, the actual managing of the protocols on the backbone is done by our Backbone department. We use BGP4 externally, IS-IS internally, and we have many MPLS clients too.
Last edited by Negrita on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:50 am

congrats on the pass slimjim
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:43 pm

Thanks guys! :)

Negrita: I used the Junos cookbook and I researched all the topics listed here http://www.juniper.net/training/certifi ... nciae.html I did not have the time to get the in-class training but I have been working with juniper routers for over 5 years now for the ISP I work for. I found that a lot of the test was on basic L2TP functions, B-RAS offerings, Routed and Bridged 1483, and PPP.  I normally work with the M series routers but I wanted to take the lower E series first. I plan on taking the M series next and maybe some of the security appliances. I am just tired of the Cisco exams so I figured I would try different vendor’s exams. Anyway I would recommend studying as I got a good score but the content in the test did my me think. It was a little easier than the higher Cisco certs but Cisco has so many inaccuracy’s on there test and they refused to fix them (I was a Cisco instructor prior to working at the ISP I am at now). Anyway thanks again for all the positive feedback guys!

Slimjim100
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:33 am

good job dood!

Return to Opinions