Pre sales!

<<

mohsinhafeez

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Pre sales!

Hi all, I have a job opportunity, pre sales, they want someone who has worked on firewall's and has knowledge of firewall's, I'll have to show the technical side of firewall's and IDS/IPS to the client if i get selected. Now my question is by taking this job (if i get it) will I move away from the field of network security? In future, with this experience can I think about being a Network Consultant? Or will I be limited, towards sales?
CCNA, MCP, CCIE Security Written, JNCIA(FWV/VPN)
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Re: Pre sales!

Presales have very little to do with actual penetration testing, vulnerability assessments and ethical hacking in general, but as you will have to know the features of the firewalls, and (hopefully) also what it actually means so you can offer the best solutions, then it does relate to network security which isn't bad.

Becoming a network consultant based on a presales job with firewalls is perhaps a big exaggerated, unless you have had other jobs or an education where you've worked with e.g., enterprise switches, routers, etc.

Nothing is impossible, fight for what you want, and you shall eventually achieve it  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Pre sales!

hm, pre-sales sounds to me you will spent more time talking about security than actually doing it. ofcourse sales employee's have to have knowledge of the products they sell, which means they will have some level of technical understanding, but performing for example an security assessment will not happen.

Depending on your goals and experience, landing a job like this could position you in a situation where you are able to grow to your ultimate goal, unless this is it, which i can not imagine because of you being on EH.net. So figure out what options you have within the company which will get you to your goal and base your decision on that. Good luck!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net

Return to Career Central