Feeling rejected and dont know what to do.

<<

millwalll

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:09 am

Feeling rejected and dont know what to do.

Hi all,

So this is my story:

Around 8 Months ago I got a break in security with a junior pen testing job. I was over the moon as security something I just love and found so interested i guess like most of the people on here. I was given 6 month contract and told by end of it I should be able to test web apps on my own.

Anyway it was coming to the end of the 6 months and as the job was away from home I had to give notice on the place I was renting. I asked the boss what was going on as I need to know if i should sign up for another renting agreement or go back home. To my surprise he said they didn't think I was good enough even tho everything they gave me I seem to do a good job of as never had any complains or any signs they were not happy.

So I left the company and went home now I been home for over a month and I just don't know what to do my head telling me I need job for bills but my heart telling me I wont be happy in another job I had a taste of security and I want more.

I applied for more jobs in security thinking the 6 month experience would help me but its not it only seem to be causing me more of an issue. I think companies are seeing it and thinking they got rid of me what they did but I think they got rid me as I need more training and something else was going on that I was not aware of.

So since I didn't have much luck with security jobs I need money ASAP so started to apply for help desk jobs just to get money and also give me some experience in area that I need bit work in. I done a new CV and started to apply but I just don't seem to be getting anywhere and I don't know why I thought most companies would love to have someone like me on their team. I don't know if its my CV or what and I don't know what to do at this point in time I just fill low and really dumb.

Help,Advice,Recommendation

Thanks
<<

sil

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 am

Re: Feeling rejected and dont know what to do.

Name one individual in this world who as a child growing up didn't fall on their ass. When you can find this person in history then come back and let me know who it is because I'd be skeptical about their story.

Everyone goes through their ups and downs. Its what helps us learn and progress. I have been through those ups and downs and they're tough, but that's when you put on your thinking cap. There are plenty of companies in this world and I think you are isolating yourself based on geographic location when the reality is, you could hit up sites like e-lance.com (read this review: http://www.techerator.com/2011/03/how-t ... lance-com/) and others. Your first goal is to obviously pay the bills. For this you WILL HAVE to either settle for what you can get, or position yourself differently (move to another town, etc).

If you feel that strongly about security, don't give it up however, knowledge and training aren't going to fall into your lap. You need to learn more. Whether it is technical, socially, and so forth. Try writing an honest email to your old company to the tune of:

Dear XBoss,

I sincerely appreciate having worked in BusinessX and I am searching for methods to improve myself. I would sincerely and honestly appreciate any feedback you may have for things I could have done better.

Its all about progression and sitting around thinking about yesterday's spilled milk isn't going to do anything but waste time that could be better spent learning and or looking for something else.
<<

RichFalcon

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:48 am

I know you feel rejected and down but Sil is right.
This experience should motivate you. This is a great
community of professionals who not only give great advice but also help out their members.
I was laid-off a few years ago and could not find a job for almost a year.I was a little pickey at first but eventually settled for a Help Desk position. The 6 months in that position I was able to network, improve my skills, and continue my degree. I am now in a Sys Admin position looking for something in Security. 
My point is that after you get over the feeling of rejection I believe you will have the courage and motivation to drive on and this community will help you. 
Not sure where you are located but there are plenty of Security related positions in the DoD. Let me know how I can help out?
C|EH, MCITP-SA, Sec+
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 am

Also, if you haven't already, specify that the position was a six-month contract on your resume. Potential employers are probably unnecessarily assuming you were let go or are noncommittal.

Do you have any other credentials besides OSWP, such as certs or a degree? The OSWP isn't well-known and isn't really going to set you apart. You might want to consider Security+ and/or entry-level Microsoft or Cisco certs.

+1 to everything else that's already been said.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:33 am

Another thing to keep in mind is that 1 month is not that long to be looking for a job. I know its hard to be patient when you're looking, especially while unemployed.

Keep you head up...these situations typically work themselves out with time.

Good luck!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for the advice I agree with what you all saying I do plan on doing more certs but I have zero money coming in and of course I can look into the cert read resources online but I cant do certs until I get a job.

I do have a degree in IT

And have been apply for any jobs but I just not hearing anything back I know its hard market but I don't understand why I don't get reply I think my CV good enough as had help from directory at the biggest consultant firm in the UK it seem like it just timing and the most annoying thing is all bad things seem to happen at once!
<<

unicityd

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:16 am

Keep your head up and keep applying.  Take a job outside of security if you have to; it doesn't mean giving up on security.  Take any job you have to to pay the bills.

Be sure to tailor your resume for different jobs.  Don't submit your security resume for a help desk job.  Emphasize the skills that are right for the job you're applying for. 

The economy sucks.  Lots of people are out of work and many of them have been out for six months or longer.  You'll get back in the game and hopefully it will be soon, but try to keep your spirits up even if it takes a while. 

Good luck.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Some good advice from all the members so far. Right now the economy sucks pretty much around the world and there is a knock on effect for available jobs with many companies downsizing or outsourcing to cut costs. I'd say the most important thing is to keep moving forward, keep studying, watching videos and occupying your time by expanding your knowledge. In the meantime, contact as many companies as possible. A quick Google search found the following:

NCC/NGS have a vacancy open for a pentester here: http://www.nccgroup.com/Careers/Vacanci ... ltant.aspx

Vega, CHECK team member: http://www.vega.co.uk/careers/vacancies.aspx

http://www.penetrationtestingcompany.co.uk/

http://www.jobsandjob.co.uk/search/?s=J ... n%20Tester

http://www.theitjobboard.co.uk/IT-Job/I ... implyHired

http://www.encription.co.uk/recruitment/

http://www.paconsulting.com/contact/careers/

And then there is Infosec 2012, there will be many vendors and exhibitors present and you could always speak to them in person and enquire about vacancies: http://www.infosec.co.uk/

HTH and good luck!
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:03 pm

If you aren't already using LinkedIn, start doing so  ;D
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

jason

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Also keep in mind that pen testing is a fairly specialized area in the security industry and that many of the open positions will be looking for candidates with a solid body of experience. You might open your scope up a bit and take a look at more general infosec jobs. You'll be a bit more likely to find positions there that are aimed at folks with less experience.

Also, the old adage "its not what you know, its who you know" has always held true for me. To repeat MaXe, you need to be doing some serious networking with other folks in the field.
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:09 am

MaXe wrote:If you aren't already using LinkedIn, start doing so  ;D

agreed, but there are some exceptions to this rule, i managed to do fine without linkedin, facebook and all those other social media thingies.

perhaps spicing your resume would be an option, mention what you do in your free time (i for example am active in the local 2600 chapter, volunteer at several conferences and give lectures at schools and hackerspaces, i even paid for some of my certificates.) now not all of these things might be work related, but sure show HR how motivated and active you are in the security community...
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Jamie,

I saw this today. A London based security company looking for a Junior Pentester:
http://www.theitjobboard.co.uk/?Mode=Ad ... =jbe&lang=

Steve.
<<

docrice

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Also check the GIAC listings:

http://www.giac.org/certified-professio ... b-listings

There might also be issues with your resume that you're not recognizing.  On other forums, some people post their (sanitized) CV for others to critique.
GSEC, GCFW, GCIA, GCIH, GWAPT, GAWN, GPEN, OSWP, WCNA, CCNA, CCNA Security, SFCP, SnortCP, and more useless acronyms.

Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
<<

rattis

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:23 pm

To go along with linked in, try hitting up twitter. a buddy of mine was telling me about where he is at, they need bodies, and will train. Problem is it's on the other side of the country from me, and I want to finish the degree I'm working on first.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks I do used LinkedIn and twitter as well run my own website. The problem I find is lot testing companies in the UK as so small lots of recruiters post about the same job and after speaking to them find out I have already applied or know someone who works for the company. It fills a lot like you need some luck at the moment and its just not happening for me.
Next

Return to Career Central