Feeling rejected and dont know what to do.

<<

rattis

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Feeling rejected and dont know what to do.

Jamie.R wrote:The problem I find is lot testing companies in the UK as so small lots of recruiters post about the same job and after speaking to them find out I have already applied or know someone who works for the company. It fills a lot like you need some luck at the moment and its just not happening for me.

That's true of everywhere you go. Even regular IT jobs in the state I live in. I get 10 calls for one job posting, from 10 different companies.  Bit of an annoyance really.

It becomes even more so, when you focus on the smaller subset of it, like security. Other parts of IT has better chances of being hired, but as was said to me recently, it's hard to sell security.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

impelse

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Yep, it is true. I receive a lot of emails/phones for the same job. They change the name but just begin to read the first sentence and you will see is the same job.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

Triban

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Same thing happens here in the States.  A utilities company was looking for a security engineer 6+ month contract.  I had at least 4 different recruiters contact me about the job.  And not just once, but twice after the first guy didn't work out (I assume) they contacted me again.  Then you find out the company is looking for a glorified AV Sys Admin.  I suppose it still counts as a Info Sec position.  I guess coming from my background of consulting, it just seems like the normal thing any sys admin or network admin would be doing regularly.

It is frustrating and it really comes down to the recruiters being worth their salt.  For instance, the one that got me my first Security Admin position was awesome.  He helped me rewrite the resume to reflect my 12 years of IT/Security experience, met with me to get a feel for my personality and coach me a bit.  As opposed to those guys that call you up want your resume even though they saw your resume out on <insert job site here> or in their database and think you will be a great fit for something completely not related to what you do (Software engineer).  bah go suck it and do your homework!  Don't waste my time. 

Stick to it man, you will get something and it will be worth it.  How about looking into working a SOC/NOC position for a bit?
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

jjwinter

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Its also possible you were doing a stellar job, and were let go for reasons entirely out of your control. Politics suck, and often people suck too.
<<

MaXe

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:37 pm

I think you should look for opportunities outside of the UK as well, in case that is where you are based. I am wondering however, are you from a country where the primary language is not English? Your grammar seems a bit odd (no offense intended), but good writing skills is essential for reporting as well, so you may want to improve your English writing skills as well. (FYI I am not an English native speaking person, and I didn't take any higher education in English, but I have used it for many years, and I keep improving every day.)
Last edited by MaXe on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an InterN0T'er
Previous

Return to Career Central