Alfa AWUS036NHR

<<

Deadpool614

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 am

Alfa AWUS036NHR

So I was browsing amazon.com earlier today looking for a new usb wifi card (my internal works pretty good but I want more range) And I ran across this guy. I know that Alfa has a good rep with being BT compatible but I read that this new one was having issues. Has anyone heard of a fix yet or should I just stick with the 036H model with the extended antt?
CIO/G-6 C|EH ....Taking the first steps down a long path.
<<

rattis

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Alfa AWUS036NHR

I thought I heard that the drivers are working in the Backtrack 5.

30 seconds on google turned up this post. Looks like you'll have to do some work, but learning what's under the surface makes you a better pentester.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/s ... hp?t=45323
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Deadpool614

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the speedy reply. It does look like there is support out there for the card. I'm a tad out of touch as I'm not in the "states" and internet where I am is restricted. Once I get back and update my gear to R2 It looks like it should be cake to get working. Now I have something else to look forward to once I'm home :)
<<

j0rDy

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:04 am

i was looking at the specification of this new adapter, but i can not seem to find any good reason to get this one over the AWUS036NH, or am i missing something?

I recently bought an alfa R36 which can be used as an extender/repeater with the AWUS036NH, which also works great!

just some experience i want to share what i have had with alfa network:
at the time of purchase the R36 did not have compatibility with the AWUS036NH. i emailed them if they had any idea if this would be supported and if they had an ETA on the drivers that would support the AWUS036NH adapter. i received an answer within 24h (even with an apology for the delay because of the chinese newyear, now i dont know if my standards are low, but a reply within 24h is fast in my opinion) that the drivers would be released within the next few months. after a few weeks the updated driver was released and announced on their website. For me there is no substitute for alfa, i just love their products and the quality is excellent.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Deadpool614

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:25 pm

I recently bought an alfa R36 which can be used as an extender/repeater with the AWUS036NH, which also works great!

I have been looking at the R36 for when I get home, glad to hear that the driver issue has been fixed.

As it stands now I'll be waiting until I get home before I make anymore purchases. I'm looking into setting up a multi purpose lab to do pen testing as well as forensics. Looking into getting my hands on some good hardware (some Cisco 2650 routers and switches, various wireless routers, and a server for forensics work). I'd really like to knock out my CCNA, SEC+, NET+, and EnCE within the next year - 2 years.
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 am

Deadpool614 wrote:

I have been looking at the R36 for when I get home, glad to hear that the driver issue has been fixed.

jup, it has been running non stop now for a couple of days, finally internet upstairs, these walls here are made of solid steel or something :S
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Deadpool614

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 pm

jup, it has been running non stop now for a couple of days, finally internet upstairs, these walls here are made of solid steel or something :S

Yeah, I surrounded by concrete barriers here and back in the states I'm in a brick building that I swear is lined with lead lol. I can hardly get a cell signal in there!
<<

jinwald12

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:04 pm

i would go with the AWUS036NHA it has a atheros card that works better with linux and can go into MASTER mode for AP attacks much easier something alot of other alfa and cards in general can't do in linux
where did all the fun go?

Return to Wireless