Another new guy

<<

Novice hacker

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Another new guy

Oh OK thanks.  :)

But a more clear list would help me more. So could anyone please help clarify the answers

I'm rephrasing the questions a bit.

1) Which certifications would help me to get a job as an ethical hacker?

(Other than C| EH)  (I know that you said that there's no 'right' way but if you mentioned some certifications then I could choose the ones which suit me best)

2) Can you actually name some of the scripting languages and web-designing languages that would help? (like Javascript, PHP or something like that)

3) PLEASE also include a good list of must-read books (not to expensive ) that one should read to become a hacker and also the order in which to read them

Thanks everyone for contributing to this aspiring hacker's development...............:)

Please reply as soon as possible
Thanks again.
<<

TheXero

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:46 am

Professional Penetration Testing - Tom Wilhelm

Definitely a good book I would recommend to a new comer, after all hacking isn't all about using metasploit to compromise a target by looking at all possible entry points and not relying on a single tool for the job.

In the book he states how to perform a professional pentest as well as the setup for corporate and home pentest labs in order to gain experience, which can be used by tools like metasploit and development of your hacker methodology by forcing you to think outside of the box when attacking certain scenarios.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Pe ... 828&sr=8-2
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 am

good recommendation TheXero might be worth knowing that I think Tom working on version two where he plans to add more about the labs and introduce some hardware.
<<

Novice hacker

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Ok thanks,

Do you know any follow up books to read after that? Please answer my other 2 questions also.

Awaiting your wisdom........
<<

unicityd

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:04 am

Do you know any follow up books to read after that?

Read everything you can.  Read other hacking books--Hacking Exposed, Counter Hack, Hacking: The Art of Exploitation.  Read networking books--TCP/IP Illustrated, Odom's CCNA guides.  Read programming books (pick a language).  Read other security books--The Web Application Hacker's Handbook, The Shellcoder's Handbook, Inside Network Perimeter Security, Network Intrusion Detection by Northcutt and Novak, The Tao of Network Security Monitoring, Applied Cryptography, Understanding Cryptography by Paar and Pelzl. 

For certs, the CISSP is required/desired for a lot of positions, especially if you push toward management but it requires five years of experience so it's something to look at down the road but not now.  Many postings ask for the CEH so it's worth getting for that reason alone.  The SANS certifications probably don't show up in as many postings as the CEH but they are generally more respected by tech folks.  Look at GSEC, GCIH, and GPEN.  The OSCP is one of the most respected certs among pen testers as far as I can tell, but it won't help you much with HR/business folks since they don't seem to know what it is.

Learn Python to start with.  It's easy to learn, powerful, and great for developing small scripts, automating tasks, and parsing data.  You'll also need to develop some knowledge of Javascript and C, at least to be able to read code snippets.  You should know how to do basic SQL queries.  It's hard to be proficient in multiple languages unless you program a lot.  Focus on getting good with one (again, Python) and then learn to read and make small tweaks in others.  If you get to where you feel like you're really good with Python and want to start working on a second language in earnest, go ahead.
BS in IT: Security, CISSP, CEH. MBA in progress.
<<

Shock

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:21 pm

unicityd wrote:
Do you know any follow up books to read after that?

Learn Python to start with.  It's easy to learn, powerful, and great for developing small scripts, automating tasks, and parsing data.  You'll also need to develop some knowledge of Javascript and C, at least to be able to read code snippets.  You should know how to do basic SQL queries.  It's hard to be proficient in multiple languages unless you program a lot.  Focus on getting good with one (again, Python) and then learn to read and make small tweaks in others.  If you get to where you feel like you're really good with Python and want to start working on a second language in earnest, go ahead.

great list but i would also insert Perl somewhere in there. a lot of positions are starting to ask for it.
<<

unicityd

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:27 pm

I used to do my scripting with Perl, but I switched to Python.  There's nothing wrong with learning both but if someone is only going to learn one I'd suggest Python.
BS in IT: Security, CISSP, CEH. MBA in progress.
<<

adamj

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Welcome Deadpool614.  Good luck with your studies.
Another suggestion/idea for a scripting language to learn: Lua.  I don't know it myself, but may be worthwhile, for Nmap scripting.  Python is great and I much prefer it to Perl.  Not sure how good it is, but there's a book Dive Into Python available free online.
<<

Deadpool614

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Welcome Deadpool614.  Good luck with your studies.
Another suggestion/idea for a scripting language to learn: Lua.  I don't know it myself, but may be worthwhile, for Nmap scripting.  Python is great and I much prefer it to Perl.  Not sure how good it is, but there's a book Dive Into Python available free online

Thank you for the welcome. A lot fo the more recent posts in here asking for help is from Hacker Newbie, who kinda just shanghai'd my thread instead of making his own.

As far as programming goes, I'm working on Python right now. I've been self teaching myself for the last few months and I really enjoy its ease of use and forgiving run mode to let me know where I screwed up lol.
CIO/G-6 C|EH ....Taking the first steps down a long path.
<<

Novice hacker

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:41 am

Sorry, deadpool.

But, I didn't know how to create a new thread until recently so that's why I posted on your thread.

No offense meant.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:07 am

@Novice hacker - I'm sure no offense taken.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Novice hacker

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks for your statement but I expressed my regrets because the last post I had posted was deleted. (@haybusa)

Anyways, sorry for the misunderstanding.(@deadpool)
<<

Deadpool614

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Sorry, deadpool.

But, I didn't know how to create a new thread until recently so that's why I posted on your thread.

It's all good, no offense taken.
CIO/G-6 C|EH ....Taking the first steps down a long path.
Previous

Return to Greetings