SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert

<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:17 pm

There's been a few topics here regarding python and infosec and it looks like Vivek has an answer to those threads:

The syllabus looks promising.  The site says the course is for people with no programming skills to those with prior experience with the language.  His past 2 certs (SWSE and SMFE) have had their course videos up on securitytube.net, but it looks like he may be doing something a little different with this cert:

The pricing includes the full course material videos...

I've posed the question on Twitter regardless :P  I really like Vivek's vids, teaching style, etc, so I'm definitely keeping this course on my radar!
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

SephStorm

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert

I would definitely be interested if they can effectively teach the basics of programming to the point someone can learn another language after completing this course.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

unicityd

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Anyone who wants to learn Python should also consider Learn Python the Hard Way by Zed Shaw.  The online version of his book is free, there is also a PDF version for $3 and an online course for $29. 

I haven't taken his course, but I have read some of his writing and he's both a good programmer and a clear writer which is hard to find.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

morpheus063

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:40 am

The course (free online) provided by Udacity is another good option to start with programming. The course teaches you how to build a search engine using Python from scratch.

Instructors - David Evans and Sebastian Thrun

Online Course Link - http://www.udacity.com/overview/Course/cs101

Registration Required - Yes
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

Deadpool614

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:47 am

This may be a stupid question but will the cert for this be recognized by employers?
CIO/G-6 C|EH ....Taking the first steps down a long path.
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:30 am

I have singed up to this course I think really good course and knowing what other video are like I am sure he start off really slow and pick it up as it goes along. I have done programming before but just cant seem to grasp coding so hoping this well really help me get into it and write a few security tools.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:26 am

Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:The course (free online) provided by Udacity is another good option to start with programming. The course teaches you how to build a search engine using Python from scratch.

Instructors - David Evans and Sebastian Thrun

Online Course Link - http://www.udacity.com/overview/Course/cs101

Registration Required - Yes

Awesome, thanks. I'm having to do the entire course in a week due to their schedule, but they have another course starting 4/16. It started off pretty slow for anyone who is familiar with Python, but it's starting to pick up some speed. This is definitely a great resource for beginners. I also signed up for several of the other courses that will be released on 4/16.

Deadpool614 wrote:This may be a stupid question but will the cert for this be recognized by employers?

It's not going to set your resume apart from others like professional certifications will, but it will provide some demonstrable evidence that you have a certain level of proficiency with Python (i.e. it may help if someone is already looking at your resume or you have an interview and can explain what you learned from it).

Jamie.R wrote:I have singed up to this course I think really good course and knowing what other video are like I am sure he start off really slow and pick it up as it goes along. I have done programming before but just cant seem to grasp coding so hoping this well really help me get into it and write a few security tools.

You should also check out coding for penetration testers: http://www.amazon.com/Coding-Penetratio ... 1597497290

I signed up as well. I'm actually hoping this will be more on the advanced side. I don't care about the certification itself that much, but Vivek puts out a lot of great content, and this is a good opportunity to support the site.
Last edited by dynamik on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 am

The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am

I signed up for the course as well, last night :)

ajohnson wrote:Interview with Vivek: http://www.itcertificationmaster.com/se ... achandran/

5-6 new courses in the works?  I look forward to seeing what topics these courses will be on!

Also, as for the python videos being on securitytube.net, he released a video for the Python course/cert the other day (http://www.securitytube.net/video/3786).  In it he said that the videos will be released 1 video per week for the next 52 weeks.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Yah I got over new few weeks going be lot changes coming I got coding for pen testing and liked it but just felt I need to be really good at one language I see to know lots little things but still don't feel good enough to code.
<<

Shock

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:20 pm

lorddicranius wrote:I signed up for the course as well, last night :)

ajohnson wrote:5-6 new courses in the works?  I look forward to seeing what topics these courses will be on!

:D

ajohnson wrote:Also, as for the python videos being on securitytube.net, he released a video for the Python course/cert the other day (http://www.securitytube.net/video/3786).  In it he said that the videos will be released 1 video per week for the next 52 weeks.

meh, i was kinda wishing that he would release them all at once but hey, the videos are free.
<<

Amidamaru

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 am

This weekend I've just enrolled to this course. Yesterday they sent me the course outline and all the necessary resources.

So far it's damn good, straight and it follows the point. I feel like I would be into a mountain-rouse, actually :).

Thanks God that I've played and win with Coursera - "Learning to program -Fundamentals Python" online training. Despite the fact that this one is focused on the Python version 3, it still provides you a very good beginner programming approach related to python structure, way of thinking and so.

So far this course SPSE is focused mainly to Python version 2.7.3 due of background compatibility with different libraries and such.

I can hardly wait to go home and go deep into the next modules.

I'll keep you updated eventually about how it goes :)
"A genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration." Thomas EDISON
<<

securitian

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 pm

I enrolled a week ago. This course is very good. I'm in module 2 right now and I feel like I'm learning a lot. I think I should have taken this before I did the OSCP. Either way both courses/certs are fun.
OSCP CISSP
<<

prats84

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 pm

I have taken up the python course SPSE as well guess 3 weeks ago.
I have a bit of python experience from Uni degree etc, but SPSE ofcourse focuses on infosec.

I am in Module 3 now and really going at a slow pace. I also tend to go through this guy on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=ECEA1FEF17E1E5C0DA
He has made small videos on each important basic topic and fairly good for basics.
<<

Amidamaru

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 am

Ya...I have that link too but IMO it's ok only for basic stuff. When I've faced the threading and queue concept I was forced to look elsewhere for more than 1 week and get this concept understood.

I'm not a programmer type but I'm making great efforts to became one as much as I'll can one and get this course done.

I'm almost at the end of module 2 and I've already read impressive extra to get some task completed.

Also I was forced to watch every youtube resource and narrow every additional video examples which I had on my personal library.

Bottom line I'm founding this certification very demanding but in the same time very useful. It's not like of the "one month learning" type certifications, you need get used with the concepts and way of thinking to get your own tools build up from the scratch. :)

From my point of view worth every cent.
"A genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration." Thomas EDISON
Next

Return to Programming