Access Router / Overload Internet Traffic

<<

chukkyjr

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 am

Access Router / Overload Internet Traffic

every PC on my place is connected through LAN and to the internet through 1 router (not sure if they use router).

the thing is, every time this dude is online, the internet traffic went bad, and i don't have any choice but sit tight and use my NetCut to cut him off, but apparently he'll report to restart the modem, and i'm just going in circles

is there any way for me to also disrupt his connection, but doesn't make him disconnected? just make him slow or something

even if i try upload a lot of things, the ping wont go up anymore (i ping google)

usually it is 50 ms when it is normal, then when the dude is online, it goes everywhere from 200 ms to 500 ms, sometimes i try to upload things, but the ping never went up past 500 ms, as if my connection is limited and his aren't

actually the win/win solution i can think of is setting the QoS from the router, but i need a way to access it, can you guys help?
<<

Triban

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:48 am

Re: Access Router / Overload Internet Traffic

Is this a home/apartment network?  If so then you will not get too much help here since you do not sound like the owner of the network.  If this is a college network you can report the issue to the helpdesk and they can review the traffic logs.  Trying to take the matter into your own hands will most likely get you in trouble. 

If you are the owner of the network, then you have access to the router and can block his MAC address.  If this is a work network then the guy is probably using a Bit Torrent client and downloading media files.  In which case its probably against company policy and you can "educate" the user about in appropriate use of the company network.  Also if you are allowing torrent traffic in and out, then you need to strengthen your firewall rules and block that stuff.

Good luck!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

rattis

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 am

From the sound of it, it sounds like you're in an apartment or other shared resource area (dorm). The best thing to do would be to complain to the people who own the network.

Be a minor pain, have screen shots and other ways of showing the problem (graphs are nice). If the network is included in your rent, point out you're paying for a service you can't use because it has too much traffic on it.

If they ask for suggestions tell them to set up QoS, and do bandwidth monitoring to see what the dude is going to. Not hard to set up BandwdithD and NTOP on something monitoring the connection to the upstream from the router.

There is also the chance that the guy doing it, doesn't realize there is a problem, and his system is compromised.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

chukkyjr

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:04 am

the reason i already tried to use NetCut is because i've talked about it to the owner, but they only answer 'yes' and the problem still persist, it doesn't seem like the owner knows / care much about setting up bandwidth/QoS etc. but if a hack to set QoS is not allowed here, can you at least teach me to slowdown his connection in normal way? (upload/download/etc), because whenver pings are high, this guy is always the problem

oh and also, almost no one knows anybody here, we are renting rooms (not apartment though) but all of us went to college morning (6 am) and went back at around mostly (7 pm)
<<

ziggy_567

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:09 am

oh and also, almost no one knows anybody here,

I'm not trying to be flippant here, but have you thought of introducing yourself?

As they say, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar...
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

rattis

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 pm

If the owner knows about the problem, maybe you should offer to help him fix it. that we you can get QoS set up, be serious about it not just to improve your usage, and he gets to learn how to offer a better service.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 pm

chrisj wrote:There is also the chance that the guy doing it, doesn't realize there is a problem, and his system is compromised.

"Torrents? I've never even heard of those, officer! Someone must have hacked my computer and downloaded all those movies!" ;)

Seriously though, if you're not the administrator, there really aren't any ethical actions you can take to remedy this. You could also try applying some economic pressure and ask for a discount on rent since the service isn't up to par. Otherwise, explore getting your own service or going somewhere else.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

chukkyjr

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:51 pm

ziggy_567 wrote:I'm not trying to be flippant here, but have you thought of introducing yourself?

As they say, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

doesn't really work that way here   :-\

is there anyway to 'little' fix it from my side? just tweaking my internet settings etc to improve my connection a little?
<<

Triban

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Probably nothing that is legal or ethical.  Sorry man, you are at the mercy of the owner of the pipe.  Can you get your own line?
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

rattis

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:46 pm

ajohnson wrote:
chrisj wrote:There is also the chance that the guy doing it, doesn't realize there is a problem, and his system is compromised.

"Torrents? I've never even heard of those, officer! Someone must have hacked my computer and downloaded all those movies!" ;)

Actually, I was thinking he clicked stuff he wasn't supposed do, and is now part of a bot-net or the like
OSWP, Sec+
<<

chukkyjr

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:22 am

3xban wrote:Probably nothing that is legal or ethical.  Sorry man, you are at the mercy of the owner of the pipe.  Can you get your own line?

no prob, i don't even want to hack it if it is possible (hence i asked to fix it from my side only), they are still people i live with

chrisj wrote:
ajohnson wrote:

Actually, I was thinking he clicked stuff he wasn't supposed do, and is now part of a bot-net or the like

if that is the case, is there any way i can check it? for some reason, i think its either this or torrent, but even then when no one is using the internet here, i tried using torrent and the maximum ping to google i can reach is 250ms, i do wonder how this guy made all the way too 600 ms, i don't think he knows what is he doing either
Last edited by chukkyjr on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

chukkyjr

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 am

guys, what QoS settings i should use to set these users have 'normal' bandwidth/speed like other users? i manage to get inside just by typing 'admin' 'admin' lol
<<

rattis

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:24 pm

chukkyjr wrote:guys, what QoS settings i should use to set these users have 'normal' bandwidth/speed like other users? i manage to get inside just by typing 'admin' 'admin' lol

You have crossed the line from ETHICAL to CRIMINAL. Chances are you will get Zero help from here now.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:20 pm

^^  agreed.  <set thread to ignore>

(Note - it seemed to have already been gravitating that direction, previously, so I had withheld comment before now, myself)
Last edited by hayabusa on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

chukkyjr

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:40 am

^alright, i won't touch anything beyond my own computer, but is there anyway to get my own computer set up have better connection? or none?

Return to Networking