SANS GCIA

<<

p0et

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am

SANS GCIA

Has anyone taken this cert before?  Not a lot on the web about it, no forums that I found.  Just their website and that's about it.  No practice exams either, so feeling a little nervous about writing it when I don't know what kind of exam it'll be.  Not sure if it's scenario-based mainly, or "know your tools and their syntax" type, etc..  I volunteered for the GCIH (Incident Handler & Hacker Techniques) cert.

Thanks.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:54 pm

Re: SANS GCIA

Have you already taken the class or are you doing the @home option?

I passed the GCFA back in the spring with a near perfect score, so I don't think the GCIA will be that difficult either as long as you've gone over the courseware. They don't ask anything except whats from the books. What I did to prepare is to simply review the books and make little tabs on areas that I thought was weak so I could find them quicker. Also you get 2 free practices tests after you signup in the SANS portal. After taking those you will have a good feel for the level of detail they are expecting and all the questions are multiple choice.
<<

p0et

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:12 am

So you didn't find it too hard, eh?  Good to hear.  In my SANS portal, I don't have any Practice Exams. They said they would show up 7 - 10bus days after the conference. So far it's been 8 business days, so I'll wait another couple. Made a mistake, I meant just the SANS GIAC certifications in general.  The conference I just atteneded was the GCIH (Incident Handler & Hacker Techniques). When i get home after work, I just have no idea what to study or how to study.  Guess I'll just skim through the books a bit more.  I know I was having a hard time with buffer overflows.

Thanks.
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:45 am

With as much as they charge, they better get you the practices tests. They help out immensely, as I saw my score go up alot after taking the first practice one.
<<

p0et

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:37 pm

I just received access to the Practice Exams.  We are allowed only 2 Practice Exams for each certification exam.  The GCIH is a 2 part exam, so 2 practice ones for each part.
<<

supafly613

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Having passed both the GCIA and the GCIH I can honestly say that I found the GCIA more challenging due to the complexity of the content.  That being said I self-studied for the GCIA and used the SANS OnDemand method for my GCIH.
Andrew Hay
NSA, CCSE Plus, CCNA, Security+, RHCE, GCIA, GCIH, SSP-MPA, SSP-CNSA
blog: http://www.andrewhay.ca
email: andrewsmhay || at || gmail.com
<<

securinate

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:52 pm

This was the most intense test I've taken.  Know your snort, packet headers, and common attacks and what protocols they utilize.  It's a good feeling once you pass considering how much work that goes into passing this certification exam.  Good luck, I'm on the GSEC test 2 now, def. a lot easier then the GCIA.  Let us know how you did.

P.S.  Tab your book out so you know where to find the information IRT the question being asked.
GCIA | Network+ | SSP-MPA
<<

p0et

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:36 am

Going back and reading my posts on this thread, I had to laugh!  I accidently had this aimed at the GCIA, but in fact it was the GCIH that I was writing and meaning to ask about.  I ended up with a near perfect score on both exams and now on the advisory board for SANS.  It was a great feeling to do so well with a SANS cert like this.  ;D

Thanks guys!

Return to General Certification