wireless card help

<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 am

wireless card help

Hello again, this is my second topic or its better to say this my second question about wireless pentest and i hope my freinds who helped me in the last topic can help me in this question too. So here is the question i couldnt use my dlink dwl 525 for pentest, now i want to buy a new wireless card and i found these models    1- Dlink dwa 120    2- Dlink Dwa 125      3- Zyxel G-202  i want to buy one of these models but i dont know what of these models are good for pentest. Please help me to choose good model which backtrack can support it. Thanks
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:19 am

Re: wireless card help

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/ind ... ss_Drivers

I thought there was an updated list somewhere but I couldn't find it. This is the card I use, and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Wireless-Ori ... 935&sr=8-1
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 am

hello cd1zz and thank you for helping me ya i know alfa cards are great but i have to buy one of these card coz i couldnt find alfa cards in our stores and amazon.com has no service here what is opinion about these models?
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 am

Cant help you there. In the link I provided they mention:

D-Link DWL-122 - using the mac80211 prism2_usb driver

They said that one does NOT work. You mentioned a similar model. Good luck.

What country are you in?
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 pm

ok cd1zz i live in qatar and what about zyxel
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 pm

what about TPLink  wn727n Tplink tl-722nc  Tplink wn723n
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 pm

I only have experience with Alfa... sorry.
<<

DragonGorge

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 am

You might want to check the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) on the Backtrack website for cards that are P&P ready with BT5.

I know that Vivek Ramachandran recommends the Alfa card in his BT5 Wireless Pentesting for Beginners guide, but he specifically referred to the D-Link DWA-125 as an alternate so you might be safe going that route.
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm

hello dragon what do you mean you mean backtrack can support dlink dwa 125?
<<

DragonGorge

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm

cyber.spirit wrote:hello dragon what do you mean you mean backtrack can support dlink dwa 125?

You're looking for a model which backtrack can support right? That is, a card that has drivers that are included in Backtrack? As I said, Vivek specifically mentioned the DWA 125 in his book so I assumed it meant that drivers for that unit came with BT5. However, looking at the list in the site below, I don't see it so I'm not sure what to make of that. Like cd1zz, I have the Alfa.

Here is a list of working cards for BT5:
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/ind ... king_cards
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:55 pm

ok the list is good but i could see any models of tplink or just a model of dlink so its not a complete list, how can make sure a wireless card is supported or not? I know alfa card is great but what about other wireless card i think many beginner have same problem as me thank you for helping
<<

DragonGorge

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Personally, I think it's worth the effort get a unit that is on the list instead of getting a list of units and seeing if each one is or isn't supported. If you want to eliminate the risk/headache of getting a card that isn't supported, find some way to get the Alfa AWUS036H. Yes, it only supports b/g protocols but it's been proven to work well with Backtrack (or the other way around). That's why most beginners get it.

I was going to get the AWUS036HNR which supports N protocol but I'd read that the driver didn't support injection, which I think is pretty important. But it's a relatively new card and I didn't want to take the chance that it wouldn't work or had bugs. I especially didn't want to waste time searching/waiting for drivers/help if it didn't. So I got the AWUS036H.

It really comes down to what you're willing to accept. If you want to be assured of the unit working with Backtrack 5 right out of the box, get the Alfa. Mine did. If you're willing to accept some risk of a) having to download/install drivers b) searching help forums when it doesn't work c) wait for new drivers or bug fixes for existing drivers d) writing your own, then take a shot with a different unit.
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:25 pm

hello Dragon and other friends
i backed to this topic because i couldnt find an alfa card here and im so sad because of this! in our country we have many wireless cards with many brands
as i know and dragon said before Alf wireless card is great but what can i do without it?
i spent many hours and to find a compatible wireless cards and i found this pages

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/best-compati ... rcrack-ng/

http://www.stygianhackerz.com/advanced/ ... -backtrack

i know these are not official sites but i think maybe these can help me. i want to know can i trust to these websites or no and can you tell me some other cards

i forgot to tell you something in new in Linux and backtrack
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:32 am

one of the above links introduced D-Link Wireless G DWA-110 USB Adapter as one of the four recommended card which supported by backtrack 5 R1 what is your opinion about this card
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 am

Ok I waited for a some week to get an answer but  It seems no body wants to help me. Is there somebody here who can  introduce me another forums where i can find some help. i already googled some hacking forums but i couldn't find a good forum like this. Because i really want to learn wireless and if i cant find the alfa card in my country its not my fault!!!!!!!!!! 
Next

Return to Wireless