Linux for newbie?

<<

pnp247

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Linux for newbie?

I want to master Linux (is it a must for a ethical hacker? :-). Could you pls suggest which resource is good for newbie? PDF/CHM e-book if preferred.
Many thanks!

PNP247
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:33 am

Re: Linux for newbie?

a linux+ ebook or real book might help you out.  you need to actually use the stuff before you get good at it though.  so if you havent installed it i would start there and just start using it.

hope that helps
<<

Negrita

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:40 pm

I found that going through http://www.linuxcommand.org/ really helped me. As Chris says install Linux and start playing around. UNIX for Dummies was also a very informative book.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Kev

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:44 pm

I think what’s really critical for someone new to Linux is to use a distro that has a lot of community support online.  When the time comes when you want to start tweaking the OS for your security tools you will need that support and the books don’t really get into it as far as I have seen.  Fedora Core is good and there is a lot of support for it and Ubuntu is starting to have some impressive support and worth keeping an eye on.

Google whatever distro you might be interested in and see if you are comfortable with the support you find.  If you like what you find, I would recommend going with that flavor.

I will say that once you really learn it well, which might take a little time, you will be addicted to it and have a new found love.
Last edited by Kev on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Other