Online penetration testing courses!

<<

robert.rzad

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 am

Online penetration testing courses!

Dear users of Ethichal Hacking-Network!

My name is Robert Rzad. I am the manager of PenTest Laboratory portal. Our portal is a training platform created by the very same people, who made PenTest Magazine (http://pentestmag.com/). I would like to propose you participation in our new initiative - online penetration testing courses. The courses itself will be conducted by well-known partner of PenTest Magazine, Mr Jeremy Faircloth. The course consists eight lessons, where you will learn everything about penetration testing.
Estimated start of the course: April 2012.

If you are interested in further details, please contact me here or via mail:
robert[dot]rzad[at]software[dot]com[dot]pl

Regards,
Robert Rzad.
Last edited by robert.rzad on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MaXe

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Online penetration testing courses!

robert.rzad wrote:The course consists eight lessons, where you will learn everything about penetration testing.

Sounds great!  ;D But I think "everything" is exaggerating a bit, as I haven't seen a training provider yet, cover everything. Some covers a lot, but a lot is not everything, especially if it's "everything you want to know".  :) Just my thoughts, but I'd like to see the syllabus or course overview as it'll be easier to get an idea how much and what it covers  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 am

I agree be good to see as I have not found one course that covers everything in so much detail
<<

robert.rzad

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Well, indeed, "everything" was a little bit an exaggeration, but I really do think, that this course is all what you need. :)

Here is quick info about those courses:

Each course takes one month. The courses are being led in groups up to 20 people. Each course can be attended at the 3 levels: beginners, intermediate and advanced. The attendee wanting to join a course must subscribe to a particular course. The whole course is divided into 8 particular issues. Twice in a week the instructor provides the students with the materials regarding the topic of this particular issue. Each portion of the delivered materials is gathered in a form of an in-depth article describing and explaining the topic. Additionally the instructor is sharing other media files, like videos, if applicable. Except of the article, each lesson includes homework to test the gained knowledge and skills of the student. Once the homework is done, the student is sharing his results with the instructor and having a live chat with him in the appointed hours. Additionally, for the course period, the instructor is available via e-mail for students to ask questions and confront their thoughts with the instructor. The additional option of the courses is the possibility for the students to interact with themselves, seeking some support or just discussing some course related issues.

About Syllabus: It's almost ready, but it needs a little improvements.

PS: I am a bit busy, but I always have time to respond to mails, so I highly encourage you to sending me those mails, if you are interested/have any questions. :)
<<

dbest

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 am

robert.rzad wrote:Well, indeed, "everything" was a little bit an exaggeration, but I really do think, that this course is all what you need. :)

<snip>

About Syllabus: It's almost ready, but it needs a little improvements.

I think the syllabus is what most of us would be interested in.
The format of the course sounds interesting, but I believe there are other courses that have used a similar format before.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

robert.rzad

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:14 am

Syllabus:

day1 - Toolset Introduction
Learn how to use a basic penetration testing toolset and build a small lab
environment for your testing.

day2 - Reconnaissance
Perform high-level discovery of your target and learn as much as possible
without letting your target find out that you're studying them.

day3 - Enumeration and Scanning
Now let's get some detailed information about the target and put together a
plan of attack!

day4 - Passwords
Sometimes the fastest way in is through the front door... Learn how to
perform basic password attacks.

day5 - Web Services
Let's probe the #1 most publicly exposed service available.

day6 - Exploitation
We have a target, now we need to learn what to do with it. Exploitation is
the art of getting the job done.

day7 - Databases
Databases can be fun and useful! Let's see what we can learn from them...

day8 - Privilege Escalation
Time to own the box.

Okay, here's the syllabus I received. As I said - this version might need a little bit shining up, but this is pretty much, what this course is going to cover.
<<

vp75

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Course format is interesting.... WIll wait for more information....
Cheers
eCPPT
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm

The syllabus seem to follow most courses but more info would be good.
<<

tturner

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:16 pm

I have yet to see a curriculum address web services in any meaningful way. Even SANS SEC542 while addressing web services and providing some great background and basics, did not dive into web services deeply enough for me.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 pm

tturner wrote:I have yet to see a curriculum address web services in any meaningful way. Even SANS SEC542 while addressing web services and providing some great background and basics, did not dive into web services deeply enough for me.

SEC542 barely dives into Web App Sec, but it's good as a foundation. I clearly remember a student, who's an excellent exploit writer, when he took the 5-day live course. I was surprised he needed a lot of work with understanding how SQL Injection, LFI, RFI, and XSS work, especially beyond the very basics.

I agree there is barely any providers that dives deep into web app sec yet, except OffSec that seems to be the current next step after SEC542, but to be honest, that course doesn't make you an expert from my point of view (at least that's the idea I get from looking at the syllabus), it looks more like the level between pro and expert (which is better than any other provider I know about), as the leading experts in this field dives deep into some topics they perhaps, should've included  :) Can't wait to hear the reviews as I'm sure many will benefit from it.

Syllabus: http://www.offensive-security.com/docum ... llabus.pdf
Certification: http://www.offensive-security.com/infor ... eb-expert/
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Hey Robert Rzad,

I'm curious... who is the real manager of the portal, since you say you are yet there's another thread in our forums stating that Damian Sajkowicz (Damian.Sajkowicz@software.com.pl) is the manager?

I clearly don't mind having info shared with our community, but if you are blatantly going to advertise, then maybe I can blatantly show you our ad rates.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it seems as though we get a lot of spam from those affiliated with PenTest Mag with no real contributions. I know I don't spam your readers, so please have the same courtesy.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

SephStorm

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:11 pm

cheers don!
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

impelse

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 pm

I thought the same.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 pm

There's a least one other organization (I'll do them the favor of not naming them) posting nothing but article summaries with referral links. There are no other contributions or discussions; that's more than a bit sketchy.

Pro tip: if you me to believe you are a professional organization, don't attempt to circumvent (what I assume are) nominal advertising rates for a quality site. That really makes me question your integrity and the value of your products/services.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 pm

++1 - ajohnson & don
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Tutorials