Nessus 5.0 Released

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Nessus 5.0 Released

Straight from Tenable on Feb 15, 2012:

New Version of Industry’s Most Widely-deployed Vulnerability and Configuration Assessment Solution Enhances Usability, Policy Creation, Efficiency, and Communication

Tenable Network Security, Inc., the leader in Unified Security Monitoring (USM), today announced the availability of the Nessus® 5.0 vulnerability scanner, the most powerful and comprehensive vulnerability and configuration assessment solution for enterprises and security professionals.

Nessus 5.0 delivers top-line business benefits by introducing enhancements that streamline and optimize each of the major phases of the vulnerability and configuration assessment process. Specific benefits include:

• Streamlined startup – New installation wizard and web interface ensure Nessus 5.0 is up-and-running, completely configured in minutes.

• Rapid policy creation – More than two dozen new plugin filters make it fast and easy to create policies for targeted scans. Selecting multiple filter criteria, such as, vulnerability publication date, public vulnerability database ID, information assurance vulnerability alert (IAVA), and more, makes it simple to identify easily-exploitable vulnerabilities.

• Industry-leading efficiency – Real-time scan results combined with on-the-fly filtering allow users to quickly see risk level and act upon vulnerability data without waiting for the scan to complete.  One-click navigation makes it easy to jump from critical vulnerability to vulnerable host to the details of the vulnerability. Five severity levels quickly separate informational data from actionable results.

• Fully customizable reports – Multiple filters, results management, and new pre-configured report formats allow users to produce targeted reports tailored to fit the needs/interests of executives, systems administrators, and auditors.  Users can also combine multiple report templates into a single, comprehensive report, which can be delivered in a variety of formats, including PDF.

For full press release:
http://www.tenable.com/news-events/pres ... ty-scanner

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: Nessus 5.0 Released

Niceness, looks like they'll still offer "home-use only" licenses as well, which is indeed really nice for testing out the tool at home  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Anyone else have this problem registering a home feed?

Code:
C:\Program Files\Tenable\Nessus>nessus-fetch.exe --register 7BEE-F7E0-15AC-CAAC-1D34
Your Activation Code has been registered properly - thank you.
Now fetching the newest plugin set from plugins.nessus.org...
Error - this scanner is not registered.
Please go to http://www.nessus.org/register/

C:\Program Files\Tenable\Nessus>nessus-fetch.exe --check
nessus-fetch is not configured to receive a ProfessionalFeed nor a HomeFeed

C:\Program Files\Tenable\Nessus>nessus-fetch.exe --register 7BEE-F7E0-15AC-CAAC-1D34
The provided Activation Code (7BEE-F7E0-15AC-CAAC-1D34) has already been used.

C:\Program Files\Tenable\Nessus>
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Looks like it was a problem installing/upgrading from v4 to v5 (Windows x64).

For whatever reason, I had to fully uninstall and reinstall. The new stuff in v5 is to setup a user within the web interface and also do the activation there. I had no problems with the fresh install.
<<

alucian

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 pm

My boss received an email from Tenable yesterday, being informed that Nessus 5 is available. He came to my desk to remind me that our policy is to wait 6 month before we upgrade to the newest version of a product  ???.
I was speechless.  :o  :'(  :-\
My only hope is that I will leave soon, and never have to deal to something like this.  ::)

By the way, have you seen the movie Idiocracy. In there, there is a scene when the guy goes in court and his lawyer is accusing him, not protecting him. I lived something similar (grace a mon patron).

I am glad that the new version is out, and I am sure that it is better than the other one. I have a lot of respect for some of the guys at Tenable, and I am sure that they do their best to provide us with a great tool. I might try it at home.

My only complaint with version 4 is that it doesn't create a database with scan results. I think that you have to buy Security Center for this. Is too bad, because it might be useful when you have only one scanner, but you scan different subnets in different days.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:08 pm

From what I've seen with Nessus over the years, I'd say it would be relatively safe to upgrade to the latest version, or at least try it out in the labs and perhaps deploy it during some of the pentests if the lab results are better.

Six months sounds reasonable for the developers at Tenable to fix any serious bugs, as often brand new versions can include bugs, etc.

I still think it would be wise to try out, and compare to the old one version, with topics like scanning speed, results, functionality / features, and so forth.
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to Tools