CEH,ECSA,LPT, CHFI comptia sec + enough with the certs I need a Sec job!!

<<

dimo

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

CEH,ECSA,LPT, CHFI comptia sec + enough with the certs I need a Sec job!!

hi there, I have all of the above certifications working as a sys admin for a company in Ireland, I'd travel just about anywhere to make a break into a role that gives me direct experience to use these certs....can anyone give me advice or at this stage hope that there are avenues for me to follow and nail down a job. I've had a couple interviews over the last year but haven't got beyond the second interview.... can anyone help??  :-[ :-[ :-[  :-\
C|EH C|HFI ECSA Comptia Security +
<<

Triban

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Re: CEH,ECSA,LPT, CHFI comptia sec + enough with the certs I need a Sec job!!

Confidence and prove your knowledge!  You may have to go for a lower level SOC position to get your foot in the door.  How long have you worked as a sys admin?  What technologies have your worked with?  Go back to your 2nd interviews and think about how you did and try to list areas you may have stumbled on.  Were you lacking any skills they were looking for?

Also are there any avenues at your current employer where you could start building your security experience?  That first Info Sec job is always a tough one since many hiring managers want to see someone with experience.  If you are getting that 2nd interview, then you might be lacking some technical skills or are not demonstrating those skills well.  Another major plus is those soft skills. Higher level InfoSec jobs may require you to work with non-technical folks so how you handle that area will be important.

Good luck!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Use LinkedIn, connect with recruiting companies in Ireland, go to Owasp meetings in Ireland (the free ones if any), and of course IRISSCON. Think about relocating to England, as there's a lot more pentest jobs over there if that's what you want.

Never talk about how much you expect salary-wise during the first couple of interviews, if you get the question, better say "a reasonable offer for the right opportunity" (you can always say no if you don't like it during the final process of the interviews), and be prepared to go down in salary, or up. Salary isn't _everything_ when it comes to getting an infosec job, it comes second, third, even last, if you really want an infosec job.

As 3xban said, be confident and prove your knowledge, if you have any public whitepapers, tools, articles, etc., it's even better.
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Triban

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 pm

MaXe wrote:Never talk about how much you expect salary-wise during the first couple of interviews, if you get the question, better say "a reasonable offer for the right opportunity" (you can always say no if you don't like it during the final process of the interviews), and be prepared to go down in salary, or up. Salary isn't _everything_ when it comes to getting an infosec job, it comes second, third, even last, if you really want an infosec job.

Wait a second, you get paid?  Well crap! I've been doing this for the free beer and parties.  :D  But yes, very good point.  We do this job because we love the challenge.  The money is often a nice perk.  Not to mention becoming good enough where vendors will pay your way to RSA doesn't hurt either.  Can't say I know from experience, but I am paying out of pocket to go this year and my friend is going on a vendor's dime just to sit a panel.  Rat bastard! :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Cant agree more with MaXe comments you would have a better chance of landing a job if you was in the England.

Where do you think you are going wrong in the interviews ??

If you will to relocated(England) I can pass your CV onto a few people that I know.
<<

dimo

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 am

3xban wrote: 
fair points 3xban , I understand what you are saying and yes the first info sec role is probably the hardest to land...thats what I'm feeling  ::) I'd be happy going in at Junior Level in order to prove my character, on the interviews I admit anyone moving from sys admin to info sec no matter what certs they have are going to be rusty on technical aspects of info sec so I'm probably falling at the last hurdle on this point, I'll stick at it, many thanks for your feedback.

<<

dimo

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:47 am

MaXe wrote:Use LinkedIn, connect with recruiting companies in Ireland, go to Owasp meetings in Ireland (the free ones if any), and of course IRISSCON. Think about relocating to England, as there's a lot more pentest jobs over there if that's what you want.

Never talk about how much you expect salary-wise during the first couple of interviews, if you get the question, better say "a reasonable offer for the right opportunity" (you can always say no if you don't like it during the final process of the interviews), and be prepared to go down in salary, or up. Salary isn't _everything_ when it comes to getting an infosec job, it comes second, third, even last, if you really want an infosec job.

As 3xban said, be confident and prove your knowledge, if you have any public whitepapers, tools, articles, etc., it's even better.

thank you maxe, I'm using linkedin, I've joined Owasp Ire but the Irisscon is a new one to me so I'll touch base with them and watch their events, on the salary yes I agree, I wouldn't push that in an interview so it's basically persuading the employer to take me 'sys admin with sec certs' over an existing info sec guy, will hopefully get there...people on EH are really helpful so the more people like you guys I speak with the better chance I'll have , thanks again,
<<

dimo

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 am

Jamie.R wrote:

If you will to relocated(England) I can pass your CV onto a few people that I know.

thanks jamie, I'm keeping the UK open as an option, as said I'd travel further for the right experience, I have no ties at present  ;D so can be selfish for a change ;D
<<

MaXe

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:21 pm

It looks like I forgot to mention that e.g., Hays (recruiting company) were searching for an security professional recently, get in touch with them and say you're interested in infosec jobs.  ;)

Note: It's not often, but sometimes they do have open infosec positions.
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

dimo

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:53 am

MaXe wrote:It looks like I forgot to mention that e.g., Hays (recruiting company) were searching for an security professional recently, get in touch with them and say you're interested in infosec jobs.  ;)

Note: It's not often, but sometimes they do have open infosec positions.

done tks bud

Return to Looking For Work