Hardware for OSCP

<<

Dranex

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:05 am

Hardware for OSCP

Hi guys, almost ready to take the plunge now, just one question - is it worth purchasing a decent Hacktop (probably a hackbook pro) for the course or would it be easier to use a virtual machine on my desktop? The spec isn't bad, its an intel quad with 4gb ram.
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:17 am

Re: Hardware for OSCP

OSCP is easily managed from a VM.  In fact, they have a download for a BT image, when you take the course.  I don't think you'll need to worry about that.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

TheXero

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:55 am

As long as you can run a VM with about a gig of ram, you'll be fine.

It's not that heavily focused on password cracking, I even used my netbook in the lab some days :)
<<

j0rDy

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 am

dont worry about your rig, its fine...just make sure you have a stable internet connection with a decent download and upload speed. There is nothing more frustrating than losing your connection during a special custom crafted exploit and find your connection failing just when you executed it...
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional