Third party VPN services question?

<<

millwalll

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:23 am

Third party VPN services question?

Does anyone here use a VPN I have been recommended vyprVPN anyone used them ? any others  that are good?

I am looking for a good price VPN service so all my data is encrypted as well protecting my identity
<<

rattis

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:20 am

Re: Third party VPN services question?

Third party VPN? Ok, I was going to say why not use OpenVPN to access your network, but I think I see what they are selling there. They're trying to be a competitor to TOR from the quick reading I did on their page.

If you have the bandwidth (even hosting a podcast on my server I've got bandwidth to spare right now) on an external server, why not just set up SSH tunneling?

Or just rock out with TOR?

From their page, it looks like you'll connect to their server which will be what sends the data out beyond it, so really it's just natting you and sending the traffic back over an encrypted path. If I understood what I read on: https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/why-vpn properly.
Last edited by rattis on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:19 am

I am looking to encrypt all my traffic so no one can see what sites i am visiting and mainly protect my privacy.

I did look at TOR but found out making a request to a site took ages and it was just not very useful as site were taking 5 min to load. I also head that the exit node it was possible to capture data and information.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 am

Jamie.R wrote:I also head that the exit node it was possible to capture data and information.

You can capture any data at the exit node from any vpn or tor.  The value lies in the source ip address not being yours.  But if, from the endpoint, you're still sending unencrypted data to a destination server, etc, that data can still be captured and analyzed.  So if you have identifying info in there, the source ip being there, or not, isn't always the 'safety net.'

I guess what I'm saying is - can you clarify what you're trying to keep hidden (without specific detail, obviously)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

millwalll

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:48 pm

At the min I am in house where the internet is shared  with others I just want try keep as much information private as I can from anyone and everyone I know there nothing that is 100% going to do this but the more of my personal information and sites i am visiting I can keep private the better
<<

rattis

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Jamie.R wrote:At the min I am in house where the internet is shared  with others I just want try keep as much information private as I can from anyone and everyone I know there nothing that is 100% going to do this but the more of my personal information and sites i am visiting I can keep private the better

So you're only worried about people you live with... Look in to getting a shell account, or a small vps somewhere, and then set up SSH tunneling. Have everything tunnel over it. Done. Like the vpn option it doesn't do End Point to End Point, but does give you a tunnel out. I used to use ssh tunneling from hotels to home, but now I use it from anywhere I need to my VPS. All you see is ssh to a server. Not the website I'm surfing over the ssh connection.

The ssh option will add extra deniablity. "Hey Jamie, why are you always connected in to your server?" "Oh, because I use it as an always up irc client". Having a VPN connection might make people suspicious.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks will look into it
<<

Triban

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 am

Before I installed OpenVPN at home I did most of my firewall/proxy bypass using the SOCKS proxy over my SSH tunnel to home or my web hosting provider.  They have since prevented that type of traffic which is why I moved to OpenVPN on my home server.  Only problem is if they are utilizing egress filtering rules on the firewall and blocking outbound SSH to or from specific IPs.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 am

3xban wrote:Before I installed OpenVPN at home I did most of my firewall/proxy bypass using the SOCKS proxy over my SSH tunnel to home or my web hosting provider.  They have since prevented that type of traffic which is why I moved to OpenVPN on my home server.  Only problem is if they are utilizing egress filtering rules on the firewall and blocking outbound SSH to or from specific IPs.

I have my sshd listening on 22, 80, 443, and 3389. It's extremely rare for me to not be able to hit it ;D
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.

Return to Other