Joe McCray Python for Security Professionals

<<

tturner

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Joe McCray Python for Security Professionals

http://strategicsec.com/services/traini ... essionals/

Looks interesting, but not enough notice given ShmooCon and SANS Orlando for me to get it approved. Hopefully it does well and I can catch it again next time.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

alucian

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Joe McCray Python for Security Professionals

WOW!

I would love to do this course. I really cannot justify it at my current job :(

Maybe... next time. I've saved it in my favorites.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

alucian

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Are you having problems browsing to the site?

I do.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:19 am

alucian wrote:Are you having problems browsing to the site?

I do.

I was having problems last night after seeing this thread, but figured they were doing updates or something.  But just checked again and still the same thing: after a few clicks around the site, I start getting 404 errors for everything.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

T_Bone

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:54 am

This course does look good, although there is no way I would be able to afford to do it as usual  :(

Has anyone ever taken one of Joe's online courses and if so what was it like?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:16 pm

Looks like it's back online. Look it over and it looks like great skills to add to your pentesting arsenal. Knowing Joe, it would be a fun class as well.

Would love to hear from anyone who takes it.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

I would love to take this class (I'm finally starting to get the hang of Python and I'm falling in love with coding :D), but won't be able to make it over to Maryland.  I pinged Joe on Twitter earlier today, and he said depending on interest, he may make the class available online.  Let him know via email, Twitter, etc if you'd be interested in an online version!
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

T_Bone

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm

That would be awesome if this course was made available online :)... I am going to ping Joe and email now
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:47 pm

He just recently ran a quick 1hr webcast on python for infosec pros and had way more people interested than he thought.  The webcast was initially reserved for 100 people, but he said there were a lot more people trying to sign-in to watch.  Hopefully that helps toward getting the course online :)
Last edited by lorddicranius on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

tturner

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah I tried to join about 15 minutes in and the meeting was full. It's a very hot topic and one I know SANS plans to add as well. I'm hopeful that we get a few options out there, not just Python but scripting in general. The Coding for Penetration Testers book was a great addition to my library but it could be so much more.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

T_Bone

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Anyone heard any more about this becoming an online course? I have emailed Joe but received no response :(
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:24 pm

I haven't heard anything else about it.  I've tried to converse with Joe a few times via email, he's not very responsive at all.  I did get a couple replies after I took a different class he did, but he was supposed to get back to me about resolving the issue with the labs that most everybody in the class was having problems with, but he never did.

While he may do some classes on topics I'm very interested in, the lack of response/support has me hesitant on paying for anymore and looking to spend my money elsewhere.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

T_Bone

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:24 am

lorddicranius wrote:I haven't heard anything else about it.  I've tried to converse with Joe a few times via email, he's not very responsive at all.  I did get a couple replies after I took a different class he did, but he was supposed to get back to me about resolving the issue with the labs that most everybody in the class was having problems with, but he never did.

While he may do some classes on topics I'm very interested in, the lack of response/support has me hesitant on paying for anymore and looking to spend my money elsewhere.

I totally agree with you and I also took that course. Despite the fact the course was very cheap, it was a bit of a shambles with all the time that was wasted on troubleshooting the VPN issues etc.

Like you say the course sounds really interesting but would have to agree, I have contacted Joe on a few occasions and received nothing so am thinking it would be wise to look elsewhere.

Return to Programming