How to move on?

<<

chadness1

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm

How to move on?

Hello everyone,

I am 25, and so far I have done a lot of tech support, help desk, and desktop support, and I was wondering how to get out of these roles, if I have not had the experience most people require, I am working on my BS in IT (will be completed in Sept), but after I complete it, I am going to working something more than what I have been getting, I am still thinking about what cert to take, I am so all over the place, either Sec+, CCNA, or CEH, and possibly a couple more, my passion are with network and security, so I am not sure which way to go.

Your ideas are very welcomed....

Thanks,
Chad
<<

Triban

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: How to move on?

Stengthen your networking skills and shoot for the CCNA.  That will certainly move you out of the lv1 helpdesk role and maybe into tier 2 support or at least put you on the path.  As far as security goes, well many of us fell into that role by just taking what we already knew and applying it with a more secure mindset. 

For instance I worked as a consultant and sys admin for a number of years and finally cleaned my last Fake AV before I decided that I was tired of always cleaning them.  I wanted to prevent them all together and make clients take my advice and recommendations more seriously.  So I refocused my effots toward the Information Assurance topics and found that I already had many of the skills need to get started in the Info Sec field.  I had a strong background in systems, I knew enough to understand scripting languages and even was able to write a couple scripts or at least edit them to work for me.  I had strong networking skills and most of that was due to the fact that being a consultant working with SMBs makes you become very versatile in your skillsets.  I researched more into understanding vulnerability assessments and even realized many of my preliminary network assessments were very much vulnerability assessments.  That gave me a better understanding on performing recon/info gathering tasks for pen testing.

Now that I talked your ear off, I say go for some background certs to boost your current skillset.  Then try to look for opportunities where you can apply a more secure minded solution.  If you see the chance to move into a security role, go for it!  Don't be afraid to try even though they may be looking for a CISSP or CEH.  Be confident in your abilities and don't BS prospective employers.  If you don't know something do not lie about, say things like "I've heard of it but I have not had the opportunity to work with it."  If you are someone who can adapt, try to emphasize the fact.  If you do a lot of work on your own time to better yourself, let them know.

Passion and determination helps us make our way through this profession.

Good luck!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Joshsevo

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:49 pm

I just got off the phone with Northgrup Grumman for a Cyber Security Analyst in MD.  Why did they contact me?  First, obviouosly I applied. But they found that I azm not only DD8570 compliant but also my certs are right up this job's alley.

Certs will open the door for you for sure but it's up to you to grab the handle and pull it open.

What does this mean?  Find an internship, start calling Computer Forensics companies, network Security companies.  Google this to find these.  Or start looking at job boards to find these companies and then email them.  I'm serious too.  I did this for 2 years and I finally got a job offer with the DEA doing Forensics. 

The thing with this DEA job is that they found me online and called me in June 2011 and said they had a job open but it would be a while.  I stayed interested.  I would call them initially once a week to see what the status was.  Then called them once a month.  Sure enough, Nov 30th they called me and said if I was still interested I would get the final interview and get a job offer.  Sure enough I got the interview at like 1 pm and the very next morning at 9 am they called me and offered the job........It showed them that I was interested and I had the passion for this stuff as well.....This is the same thing that Certs will do for you.  Show the employer that you are interested in getting a job as you are paying for certs out of your own pocket to try and learn andd eventually find a job doing what you learned.

If nothing else and you have tried everything.  Join the Air Force or the Navy and pick an IT job.  By the time you get out you will have a TS clearance and 4-5 yrs of experience and more than likely be offered a job before you leave Active duty.  I was surprised to see so many military people at the NSA when I interviewed with them in Dec.  But I suppose it makes sense.

When the tough get going, keep your head, stay determined, don't stress out and understand that your day will come.  As did mine.

Good luck buddy!
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

chadness1

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Wow what a coincidence, I was just looking at NG jobs to see what kind of requirements are they looking for, unfortunately I see a lot of the cyber security jobs requires an active security clearance, which I do not have.... I am starting with my Sec+, then CEH, not sure where I want to go after that, might do CCNA... I have been spending a lot of time on the GIAC to see what I need to be working towards... I was thinking about doing something with the military, but I want to stay on the civilian side, or with NSA, DHS, or DOD... I have to start making my mind up my short term goals are all over the place right now....

Joshevo habe you done any internship? I wish I would have done internships early on, but now i cannot afford an unpaid internship (unless it was part time and first shift).

I will work on my Sec+ I have a pretty good book coming tomorrow, going to try to be done within a month, and take my test.

Thanks for the feedback

Joshsevo wrote:I just got off the phone with Northgrup Grumman for a Cyber Security Analyst in MD.  Why did they contact me?  First, obviouosly I applied. But they found that I azm not only DD8570 compliant but also my certs are right up this job's alley.

Certs will open the door for you for sure but it's up to you to grab the handle and pull it open.

What does this mean?  Find an internship, start calling Computer Forensics companies, network Security companies.  Google this to find these.  Or start looking at job boards to find these companies and then email them.  I'm serious too.  I did this for 2 years and I finally got a job offer with the DEA doing Forensics. 

The thing with this DEA job is that they found me online and called me in June 2011 and said they had a job open but it would be a while.  I stayed interested.  I would call them initially once a week to see what the status was.  Then called them once a month.  Sure enough, Nov 30th they called me and said if I was still interested I would get the final interview and get a job offer.  Sure enough I got the interview at like 1 pm and the very next morning at 9 am they called me and offered the job........It showed them that I was interested and I had the passion for this stuff as well.....This is the same thing that Certs will do for you.  Show the employer that you are interested in getting a job as you are paying for certs out of your own pocket to try and learn andd eventually find a job doing what you learned.

If nothing else and you have tried everything.  Join the Air Force or the Navy and pick an IT job.  By the time you get out you will have a TS clearance and 4-5 yrs of experience and more than likely be offered a job before you leave Active duty.  I was surprised to see so many military people at the NSA when I interviewed with them in Dec.  But I suppose it makes sense.

When the tough get going, keep your head, stay determined, don't stress out and understand that your day will come.  As did mine.

Good luck buddy!
<<

chadness1

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks, 3xban, CCNA is my passion, I have so much study material for the CCNA, but school have me so tied up to focus on the labs, I have the theory section in my pocket... I took it once failed by not much, I regret that I stopped focusing on it, but I will once I get out of school, and have more time to dedicate.

You make a good point of falling into the role, and then applying the security mindset, I have never thought of it like that.

3xban wrote:Stengthen your networking skills and shoot for the CCNA.  That will certainly move you out of the lv1 helpdesk role and maybe into tier 2 support or at least put you on the path.  As far as security goes, well many of us fell into that role by just taking what we already knew and applying it with a more secure mindset. 

For instance I worked as a consultant and sys admin for a number of years and finally cleaned my last Fake AV before I decided that I was tired of always cleaning them.  I wanted to prevent them all together and make clients take my advice and recommendations more seriously.  So I refocused my effots toward the Information Assurance topics and found that I already had many of the skills need to get started in the Info Sec field.  I had a strong background in systems, I knew enough to understand scripting languages and even was able to write a couple scripts or at least edit them to work for me.  I had strong networking skills and most of that was due to the fact that being a consultant working with SMBs makes you become very versatile in your skillsets.  I researched more into understanding vulnerability assessments and even realized many of my preliminary network assessments were very much vulnerability assessments.  That gave me a better understanding on performing recon/info gathering tasks for pen testing.

Now that I talked your ear off, I say go for some background certs to boost your current skillset.  Then try to look for opportunities where you can apply a more secure minded solution.  If you see the chance to move into a security role, go for it!  Don't be afraid to try even though they may be looking for a CISSP or CEH.  Be confident in your abilities and don't BS prospective employers.  If you don't know something do not lie about, say things like "I've heard of it but I have not had the opportunity to work with it."  If you are someone who can adapt, try to emphasize the fact.  If you do a lot of work on your own time to better yourself, let them know.

Passion and determination helps us make our way through this profession.

Good luck!

Return to Career Central