Offensive Security's OSEE

<<

UNIX

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm

Offensive Security's OSEE

Offensive Security finally added an accompanying certification to their Advanced Windows Exploitation (AWE) course, called Offensive Security Exploitation Expert (OSEE).

More info is available here and here.
Last edited by UNIX on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Offensive Security's OSEE

WOW more pain.  Pretty cool.  It looks like they are coming out with a web app course in February too.

http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-training/advanced-web-attack-and-exploitation/
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:07 pm

As much as I love their courses (about to sign up for OSCE,) I can't swing that price (the web app one.)  Will wait until that one eventually (hopefully) comes out self-study, as well...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:22 pm

AWESOME. Time to convince employer.
<<

alucian

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Hmmmm, one year too late for the web one.
I did GWAPT last year and  I cannot justify two courses for the same subject.

Maybe I'll do the online version, when it will become available.

But... I still have a lot to fight with OSCP and the others.

I love offensive security certs!!
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

Seen

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Damn, I wish the web cert was a little cheaper than GWAPT.  Considering it looks to be the same price, I'd probably just go for GWAPT.
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Seen wrote:Damn, I wish the web cert was a little cheaper than GWAPT.  Considering it looks to be the same price, I'd probably just go for GWAPT.

The reason that and the windows exploitation course are so expensive is because they are live/in-person courses. As Hayabusa mentioned, hopefully they come up with self-study versions that have prices that are in line with the other self-study courses.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 pm

I'd take Offensive's course over GWAPT, any day.  There's something to be said for being challenged by hands-on exams at the end, and while I know the GIAC certs are recognized and Kevin Johnson is a wiz (mad props, and I'd love to sit under him for a class, or even lunch  :P ,) muts and company just always step up and outdo the competition with their courses and labs.

I'd do both if I could, but if I could only (even get lucky enough to) do one, I'd gamble on Offsec.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

vp75

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 am

Interesting from Offensive course, I remember Securitytube would also be launching Webapp security certification sometime this year... Got to wait and see... :P
eCPPT
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 am

hayabusa wrote:I'd take Offensive's course over GWAPT, any day.  There's something to be said for being challenged by hands-on exams at the end, and while I know the GIAC certs are recognized and Kevin Johnson is a wiz (mad props, and I'd love to sit under him for a class, or even lunch  :P ,) muts and company just always step up and outdo the competition with their courses and labs.

I'd do both if I could, but if I could only (even get lucky enough to) do one, I'd gamble on Offsec.

Personally, I'm torn. The other side of the equation is that SANS/GIAC is more broadly marketable. People who are in-the-know likely respect OffSec a bit more (for the reasons you mentioned, and that I agree with), but at the same time, you often need to get past HR filters and a non-technical crowd first. If that wasn't there case, there'd probably only be six CISSPs :P
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:50 am

Well, as the quote said (where you quoted me,) I know GIAC is more 'recognized'   :)

So I think we agree.  It depends on your reasoning.  If you want it for a resume or need to bypass HR, then yeah, I see GWAPT.  But if it's personal, and you're in it for the experience factor, I lean to OffSec.

And I'm not even going to discuss CISSP...  I don't have it, mostly because I don't need it, but a LOT of CISSP's (that I know personally) can 'talk the talk' based on book knowledge, so they passed the cert. But put them in real-world and they can't cut it.  I respect the cert, for it's knowledge and info, but again, it's always based on the end-person.  I've considered going after it a few times, but it's a lot of time and study that I don't have, for something that isn't going to buy me, personally, anything, at this juncture.  So who knows, maybe someday, when I'm bored and have some time... who knows.

<Edit- Again, don't take my post as condemning CISSP.  Just saying, there's proper need for it, but that it's like any other cert in paper...  You can learn it, but application is another thing, and results of THAT are based on the student(s) in question.>
Last edited by hayabusa on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 pm

shame the web app will online be live :(
<<

alucian

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Question for the seasoned pentesters:

Do you really need the advanced windows exploitations skills on your day to day job? Some of the managers I know will just say "Well this is too advanced,... this in the internal network.... "

8) ??? ::)
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 pm

If you don't want to be a bad ass then no! I think bug hunting is fun and how much more value could you possibly bring your client if you find an 0 day to pwn them with?
<<

SephStorm

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Just an FYI, for those wondering what a live class with the OffSec guys is like, heres a review (PWB) I believe by Johny Long. Its a 5 part review, so u can change the url as needed.

http://www.offensive-security.com/offse ... an-part-1/
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
Next

Return to General Certification