new laptop suggestions and questions

<<

Cd82

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:52 pm

new laptop suggestions and questions

ok im looking into getting a new laptop or netbook to run backtrack on.
i have a budget of 350$  looking for one with the  Atheros Chipset

ive seen this one at target  its an acer but im not sure about it

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AO722-0473-1 ... 619&sr=8-1

its 329 at target  im not sure if it has the Atheros chipset or not
any suggestions would be helpful 

should i need a cd rom  there is a toshiba  at wally world for the same price.  its got one more gig and a bigger hd  but its also a 15 inch system
<<

TheXero

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 am

Re: new laptop suggestions and questions

I've got the ASUS Eee PC 1005HA (Atom 1.6GHz NetBook)

It comes with an Atheros Chipset wireless card and everything works great out of the box :)

As long as you won't need to do any password cracking you should be fine with it.
<<

Cd82

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 am

to be honest im not sure if ill ever password crack or not.  im also lookin now at  an asus 15 inch  that isnt much more.

so theXero  is yours  not strong enough  the cpu not strong enough to do password cracking or what??
<<

TheXero

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 am

Don't get me wrong, but it's a great netbook, and works perfectly but it's not designed to high performance so the password cracking can be a little slow but still achievable.
<<

Cd82

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 am

i see hteo ne you advertise has 3 usb ports. but amazon said somehting bout bluetooh 

doesi t have bluetooth?
<<

TheXero

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:28 am

There are two different models of the 1005HA, one with at 1.6GHz and one at 1.8GHz which also includes bluetooth.

I got the 1.6 as I didn't need/want bluetooth, and yes they both have 3 USB ports.
<<

alucian

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Go to ebay and buy an used
Dell Latitude or
Thinkpad or
HP Elite

plus an ALFA card and you are good to go.
Unless you want to be stealthy (and in this case a notebook is not the best solution) I don't see any reason to buy a netbook.

My opinion.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

Cd82

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:46 pm

alucian  what would i need to be stealthy  you say?    not a netbook  ? 
<<

Cd82

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:40 pm

i was looking at best buy tonight and found two asus laptops.  they got the same cpu  intel i3  and 4 gigs of ram    one has  500 gig and 3 usb ports.
the other has 320 gig and 2 usb ports. 

got a 15.6 inch screen both have the Atheros chipset    im not sure which one heh 

i liek the mouse on the one that has two usb ports  and its a lilttle cheaper. 
<<

alucian

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 pm

I would not recommend a netbook because it is too small and not powerful enough. If you want portability buy a 12 - 14" and if you want to do more than wireless cracking buy one 15 - 17" with a resolution of minimum 1600x900.
I recommend a good resolution, because you'll want to have more windows open in the same time (example: 2 shells and a browser, or a browser and burp...).

Also, don't put too much in a laptop unless you are rich.

For example, I just bought an used laptop, Dell Precision, core 2 duo, 4GB RAM, 17", SSD and I will use it for normal browsing and I have 2 OS windows and Backtrack.
Next week I will buy a server, dual CPU XEON, 6GB RAM, 2HDD and I will put my VMs, I will use it also as an web server, as a test machine...

The total price - 650$

If you buy a good laptop 17", it will cost you more than 1000$, without any return on investment. Worst, in one year it's value will be 700$ max.

I am giving you these advices because I saw that you are on a budget. Otherwise... buy the most expensive MAC, put a Linux as a dual boot and .... you'll do the same work as I do :)

PS I am wondering if in few years I will have the same judgement  ::)
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

Cd82

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:22 pm

the two asus intel i3 laptops im looking at both 15.6 inch  4 gigs of ram. one has 500gig hd and 3 usb ports  is 449$. the other one has 4 gigs 2 usb ports and 320 gig hd. and is 399 thease are at best buy where i have a card.
im trying to decide which one to get  really  the one i like only has two usb ports. i like how respnsive the mouse  is and such  and it seems to have a better picture than the other.  but  ive got a blue tooth adatper a gps adatper and my alfa  wirless adatper to get better signals. 

still trying to decide here heh
<<

easy

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:15 am

At least Penetration tester should have a good performance Computer/Laptop. If you are going to buy low performance laptop then in future you will be having some problem(It happened for me)...

Some Problem if get a low performance laptop:

1. You need low budget for buying a Low performance laptop. So Screen may be lower than 14" and after some month you may loss your eye power ''' heh.
2. What if you are going to crack a hash or a list of hash? Your laptop will be too slow and you will be unable to do others work at a time.
3. multiple tasking will be boring.

In my opinion if you budget problem then wait for some time then go for "good".   
<<

Cd82

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:05 pm

intel i3 and 4 gigs of ram should be fine correct  plus it can be upgraded to 8 gigs of ram.   
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:17 pm

I'd give it the 8 GB soon, in the event you want to load up VM's, but that should get you started, if that's what your budget affords.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Cd82

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 pm

im thinking about dual booting with the sytem.    ive got other older systems i can test on.    i guess  some poeple use VMs  to test on ?  or load backtrack in it?
Next

Return to Hardware