Need advices and help for getting a Job and writing my CV

<<

easy

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 am

Need advices and help for getting a Job and writing my CV

I am self-trained. Just i learned the pentesting , learning and continue i will learn more and more. For a long time study and research(3+ years, I think this time still is not enough for getting 100% expert, But i learned quickly because i spent my full time for becoming a hacker) i earned some knowledge. For some reason i am having some big problem and it is disturbing me a lots for security researching(Bored+angry). I Like to get a job and moving to any country anytime. Below is my skills:

1. Web pentesting(Tools + Manually).

2. System Pentesting with some tools and manually.

3. Buffer Overflow(Learned from Corelan tutorials and self research . I am still learning it )

4. Understanding programming language such as Python(Coding), html, php, C(basic), Assembly(Understanding For buffer overflows) , SQL etc.

5. Running various pentesting tools. My favorite Pentesting distro is BACKTRACK.

6. Quick learner.

I don't have any certs . I did not able to take any, because I have some great problem in my country for sending payment to outside country(sucks).  But i will take one or two certs after getting a job(Because just i can't send money to abroad. I think self study exam will do reason i have that motivation).

I am agree to move any country ...

Is it possible to get job without any certs?

Help me please writing my CV and getting a pentesting job

Thanks for reading my post and helping me.
Last edited by easy on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Triban

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Need advices and help for getting a Job and writing my CV

What does your previous work history look like?  Do you have a college degree?  If so in what?  Being a self taught penetration tester with no actual credentials is a tough sell to any prospective employer.  Getting certs will help.  Otherwise you will have to look for internships to get your foot in the door.  Human Resources like to see the following:

Popular Certs - CISSP, CEH etc...  more technical certs are good but many HR deparments do not always recognize them (GIAC, eCPPT, OSCP).
College Degree - can be useful if you do not have a lot of job experience. 
Experience - proven experience.  Hard to prove though without a job.  If you did some freelance work you may be able to list this and get some references down.

I hope this helps.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

easy

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 am

My education also not good perhaps . 1. I passed H.s.c(Higher school certificate) and have 2. Networking + Software Engineering diploma(1 networking + 2 software) 3. B.B.s third year(Not computer related , i love computer and that is i learned computer hacking and want it as career). Most of company want certs ... But my master problem is payment, I can't send money to abroad, Does not support paypal etc. That is why i did not able take any certs but i believe that i could pass CEH or CISSP if i attend for "self study option" (But i can't send the registration fee).

If i would have a simple job then it would better taking these certs .

Not understanding what i should do.
<<

MaXe

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 pm

easy wrote:I am self-trained. Just i learned the pentesting , learning and continue i will learn more and more. For a long time study and research(3+ years, I think this time still is not enough for getting 100% expert, But i learned quickly because i spent my full time for becoming a hacker) i earned some knowledge.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles getting into infosec, but it is indeed not very easy. Not even for a guy like me, it has only begun to slightly become possible, within the last year.

Three years, is okay if you've been studying hacking and a lot of tutorials on your own. Have you written any advisories / pocs / 0days? (For e.g., web applications or binary programs) It's good for your own reputation and practice of skill.

As the others mentioned, getting recognized certificates is a good way to start. Internship, or junior positions if you find any, are also some of the best ways to get into infosec.

If you don't have experience in any computer related job yet, then you may have to bite "the sour apple", and start low for a while to get some experience, even though it may be completely irrelevant, and then you can at least show you've worked within IT.

It's not what you want right now, but when I finished my education, I couldn't get the job I wanted at that time (SysAdmin), so I took an IT-support job. Even though, they don't pay very well quite often, and it's not fun to hear users and / or customers complain (as you'll find out some cultures do more than others, esp. in different ways), you'll learn some good deal of patience and to explain things in very simple ways, good for presentation skills later on I guarantee.

If you want to start in a decent place within IT-support, it's Business-to-Business support you need to get into, in particular server support or other high-class equipment. (You can also use this experience and knowledge later on, perhaps even advance within the company.)

That's my best suggestions for now.

The third option is to write a book named: "How to seriously become the world's number One 1337 hacker" and then market yourself and the book extremely.

Just don't steal material from others  ;D No offense intended towards any fans of Evans.  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

easy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:51 am

MaXe thanks for your suggestions ...

At this i need any computer related where i will be able to get experience and practices.Just help me please to get a system admin job?

I will take these certs as soon as i get out from my country. Without a job offer dunno if it is possible to get visa (US,UK etc)... not sure actually.

I did not write any poc/paper(I will) ... Because i think it is my reading and learning time, I think i will learn if i read more and more . Without it i have some worry about my English too. I know becoming a real hacker is not so easy but i love to follow to be a Computer Security Genius like you, hd moor, petervan(Corelanc0d3r) and others. I am having some big personal problem and this is attacking on my brain and wasting important time.

Can you kindly provide any good job posting link where i can try sometime too?

Coping mean == cheating with own brain

Hope you guys will help me...

Thank you very much  
<<

MrTuxracer

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am

Hi easy,

you could give global sites like monster.com or stepstone.com a shot for a basic job to get into things like MaXe already said. It's hard to directly jump into InfoSec without any practical experiences as e.g. a network or system administrator.

What country do you currently live in ?

Regards.
eCPPT, HP ASE (Networking), LPIC-1, OSCP, WCSP
http://www.rcesecurity.com

Return to Career Central