Red flags for a website's security?

<<

concerned82

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Red flags for a website's security?

okay, I'm not a security guru or anything. i'm just an end user, so sorry if i'm posting to the wrong area, but i'm hoping you guys can help.

the state of nebraska made me register on their website neworks.nebraska.gov inorder to get my unemployment, but the things makes me nervous. i have to provide all my personal info and work history and soc # and everything a id thief would love, and the the scares me! i mean i'm on it and i'm thinking it isn't the best site and not even close to what i would expect from a bank or cc company!

am i crazy? is this site as bad as it looks? please tell me i'm being paranoid.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Red flags for a website's security?

Seems fine. The IP belongs to the state, they have a current SSL certificate, and they are running IIS 7.5. As long as you were in the SSL session (and it was to their server) your information should have been okay in transit. What they do with it on their end, who knows.
<<

Triban

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 am

Site looks fine, but its ok to be concerned since it is your data.  Like BillV mentioned, what they do with it after is what you might be more concerned with.  You can always call and ask them how they secure your data in their systems because you are a concerned tax payer and all :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

MaXe

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 pm

As long as they're storing it right, that the transit of data is in order (which it should be according to the other comments), and if the actual website is secure, then you have nothing to worry about  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

nytfox

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:27 am

I wouldn't worry about your data getting stolen while your transmuting from your machine to their servers , but make sure your machine isn't infect by RATS , Keyloggers , Stealers , Botnets etc ... and I dont think they will make you submit your information online unless the application and backend database's are secure . I didn't actually visit the site . but if the application is secure you got nothing to worry about
Unlike others I love NULLS
http://treasuresec.com
<<

MaXe

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:31 am

nytfox wrote:... and I dont think they will make you submit your information online unless the application and backend database's are secure .

Did you see the recent Stratfor leak? Their servers were supposed to be secure  ;D
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Triban

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:29 am

There are two types of businesses/organizations out there, those who have been breached and those who know they have been breached :P
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

nytfox

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 am

MaXe wrote:
nytfox wrote:... and I dont think they will make you submit your information online unless the application and backend database's are secure .

Did you see the recent Stratfor leak? Their servers were supposed to be secure  ;D

blame the hackers :P . MaXe good point tho . even how much we think a system is secure their is always a point hidden to exploit . its just matter of time some one finds it
Unlike others I love NULLS
http://treasuresec.com

Return to Web Applications