Offensive security certs: required background

<<

saberhagen

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Offensive security certs: required background

Hi,
I'm a 20 years old boy and, if all goes well, I'll be studying for a "ethical hacking and countermeasures" degree course in the UK next year. I am thinking about taking a pentesting certification. I would like to receive some advice about what certification is the most suitable for me, cause I'm looking for something that can be useful for undergraduate studies or real working contexts if I didn't get in at those degree courses.

I'm aware that Offensive security certs are really valuable, but I've heard they are really challenging and I don't know if I am ready for enrolling on these courses.

About my skills, I have achieved a Cisco CCNA certification last summer and I know Linux and its main bash shell commands. I'm just a beginner about programming, but however I have some basis of Python and Java.

I'm wondering if attending a novice class on HackingDojo website prior to going for Off. Security certs would be more appropriate for my situation. Anyway, what certification should I go for? OSWP or OSCP?
OSWP seems to me less demanding...

Thank you,
saberhagen

P.s. I'm sorry for my English, but I'm not a mothertongue, unfortunately.
CCNA
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Offensive security certs: required background

Sounds like you have the skill sets to "attempt" the course. Look a little bit more through the forum, and you'll find SO MUCH info about the course. Once you read the information that's already here, come back with anymore questions you have. This community is one of the best for helping out newbies and just anyone wanting to learn.

-YTF
OSCP in progress
<<

vp75

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi, I would say, as long as one is willing to put more time to learn, anything is possible to learn...Believe in yourself to decide & go for it....
V
eCPPT
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:13 pm

Like Yuck said, start searching the forums first, that is the most common question here....
<<

WCNA

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:32 am

I would start with learning all you can from the megaprimer videos on securitytube.net. Click on the "Groups" tab to see all the megaprimers.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

saberhagen

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Thank you for your answers. I think I'll read a pentesting basic book, while improving my Python programming skills, so that I can later decide with more  awareness which is the best path to follow.

saberhagen
Last edited by saberhagen on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCNA
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I haven't taken the course but from what I've heard, you can learn python/bash while going through the course. You don't need to be a pro in python to complete the course, just an understanding and run basic scripts.
OSCP in progress
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:28 pm

As far as programming goes, if you understand the basic constructs (FOR / NEXT loops, input parameters, variables in general,) you can pick up the rest.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist or uber-programmer for that part.  However, you need to be familiar enough with those basic programming concepts to not have to spend all of your lab time on them.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

saberhagen

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 pm

hayabusa wrote:As far as programming goes, if you understand the basic constructs (FOR / NEXT loops, input parameters, variables in general,) you can pick up the rest.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist or uber-programmer for that part.  However, you need to be familiar enough with those basic programming concepts to not have to spend all of your lab time on them.

Ok, I see. When I'll feel confident enough to try,do you suggest me a 60-day lab access or 90-day one? Anyway, I've seen that many of you have started with OSCP about OffSec certs. OSWP isn't good as a point of start? I ask this because I already have a manual on that subject, "Backtrack 5 wireless penetration testing" by Vivek Ramachandran. Nevertheless, I'm sure that I'd need to enroll to the online course the same, cause it seems difficult to prepare for certification by reading only that book.
CCNA
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 pm

To me, it depends on what you want to do.  Wireless is an interesting topic, and I test wireless, too.  But, for me, I wanted OSCP to get more 'rounded' training, as well as my general interest in more of the exploit creation / modification and other topics.  Wireless is one of those topics that has a lot of web-based tutorials and such, so while I might go for OSWP at some point, there's plenty of info in that realm for me to find and tinker with, already.  Offensive Security has a great compilation of topics and materials, though, in OSCP, so it was my preferred starter (from them.)

Now, I'm currently getting myself in gear for OSCE, in the near future.

As far as lab time goes, I'd base that on your confidence level in yourself, as well as how much time per day you can 'truly' devote to it.  I took 60-days, because I had a family and full-time job to work around.  I could probably have passed in 30, but it was nice to revisit some of the lab machines, and find multiple ways to 'pop' the box, or experiment with different tools and approaches.  You won't find a better lab, all in one place, to work in.

I wish, sometimes, that they kept an online 'practice' lab, for OSCP's to test other new ideas in, in the future.  But that's what VMWare is for, and at least they gave you good ideas to work from, in your own labs.   ;)
Last edited by hayabusa on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 pm

I started with 60 and ended up buying more... I also did a detailed review awhile ago, its on my old networkadminsecrets.com blog if you're interested.
<<

saberhagen

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:01 am

Ok, thank you for your help (and time as well).
Regardless of what certification to start with, I plan to achieve all the three certs within a year or two. Getting in at Abertay would make my pentesting formation far easier I think, so finger crossed  :).

I believe I'll be here for a long time. This forum is amazing. There are many hacking-related ones, but the professionalism which can be found here is quite rare.

saberhagen
Last edited by saberhagen on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CCNA
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 am

Glad to help, and that you like what you've seen here.  It's a great place to make professional friends and contacts, while growing your knowledge base and skillset.

Good luck in your studies, and keep us posted on your progress, as you move forward.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Network Pen Testing