network adapter for packet injection

<<

jinwald12

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:58 am

Re: network adapter for packet injection

the  Alfa AWUS036H has the shitty reltek chipset and can not do 802.11N so go for the  Alfa AWUS036NHA and the hakshop no longer sells the  Alfa AWUS036H they sell the NHA so regardless of what vivek will tell you it is shit go for the NHA
where did all the fun go?
<<

tturner

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:41 am

Alfas are good cards but they are not the only game in town. check out this TP-Link card that Pwnie Express sells. http://pwnieexpress.com/products/tp-lin ... sb-adapter $29.00 802.11n does monitor, master and injection and has an external antenna connector. The best part is it's a stick so I don't have to get all funky with the wire ties or velcro to strap an Alfa to my tablet when I'm warwalking.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:28 pm

i haven't tested these cards but it seems those cards are compatible:
www.raymond.cc/blog/best-compatible-usb ... rcrack-ng/.
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

rattis

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am

Having used both internal and external cards, I tend to recommend the external ones. They tend to get better range over the internals. Mostly due to antenna. I could take my laptop apart and run some cable to make a bigger antenna but that's more work than I want to do.

While Jinwald12 doesn't seem to like the AWUS036H, I have had no problem with mine. It was the standard for a long time for wireless hacking, since it could do the packet injection.

If you're looking for a laptop and you're checking them out at the store, take a copy of BackTrack with you, reboot and try airmon's injection test see if it works or not.

You'd be surprised at how fast people working at the store want to help you out when you say you're a security professional and want to see if the hardware will work with your hacking tools.
Last edited by rattis on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am

chrisj wrote:If you're looking for a laptop and you're checking them out at the store, take a copy of BackTrack without, reboot and try airmon's injection test see if it works or not.

You'd be surprised at how fast people working at the store want to help you out when you say you're a security professional and want to see if the hardware will work with your hacking tools.

++1  (only, instead of without, he meant 'with you')
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

jinwald12

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 am

Don't get the H it does not support 802.11N or many advanced features that is why the Hakshop no longer sells it they now sell the NHA which is far superior DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GET the H
where did all the fun go?
<<

rattis

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 pm

N is backward compatible with B/G, which the H will support. you won't get the range. Yes you're better off getting something new, that has made a compatablity list, but the older stuff could be cheaper, and for learning / lab use that would be fine.

Real world. get the new shiny if it going to do what you want it to do. That said, I'm still using the IBM (yes says ibm not lenovo) T60 I bought in 2007 (granted i've done a cpu swap and upgraded the memory). 32bit processor works nice.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

rattis

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 pm

hayabusa wrote:
++1  (only, instead of without, he meant 'with you')

Nice catch. I was typing quick at work. :)
OSWP, Sec+
Previous

Return to Hardware