I'll get straight to the point. A friend of mine is researching hacking and cracking for a book they're writing, which involves a "tech savvy young boy" (twat, I'd say..) who pulls off one of the biggest financial scams in history....through the help of cracking. I'll directly quote from the email I received -:
"From a basic story point of view the protagonist steals confidential data of high profile clients of a bank and launders money into a third party account by hacking (read : cracking) into the bank accounts of these clients. We have many questions about how he will carry out this crime, what information and expertise will he need etc. Following are some basic questions for you to get an idea of what kind of help we are seeking.
1. Is it possible for anybody to be in a small town far away from the city where the crime is being committed and still pull it off successfully?
2. What is the information that he will need from his accomplice working in that bank?
3. How will he carry out the scam by making sure he is not traced and at the worst his accomplice is accused of the crime?
4. What are the various processes of basic hacking of personal accounts and official accounts of larger consequence?
5. What kind of hardware/software will have to be installed in the bank for them to get the required information?
6. What position will the accomplice hold in the bank to be able to retrieve confidential information for the scam?"
As ridiculous as these questions may sound, I even questioned them whether they're preparing to pull off a financial scam themselves! Jokes apart, I would love to have the views of those experienced in professional security.
PS : Pardon any posting violations that I may have done, 'coz I couldn't think of a suitable forum to post this in. Plus if you think this whole topic is weird, I'm not at fault! Had nowhere else to go to ask.