Maciej Kozuszek

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:24 am

IT Security Books

Hello All,

I would recommend you three IT Security Books:

Web Application Security: A Beginner’s Guide

Security Metrics: A Beginner’s Guide

Securing the Clicks: Network Security in the Age of Social Media

They have been published in recent months. They are timely, useful and valuable. You can find out more on http://pentestmag.com/ in section "Reviews".

All three books are easy available through PenTest Magazine. Just buy annual subscription and choose the best for you!

Enioy reading!
<<

Maciej Kozuszek

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:39 am

Re: IT Security Books

I have another one:

Analyzing Computer Security by Charles P.Pfleeger

The book covers “hot button” issues, such as authentication failures, network interception, and denial of service. You also gain new insight into broader themes, including risk analysis, usability, trust, privacy, ethics, and forensics. One step at a time, the book systematically helps you develop the problem-solving skills needed to protect any information infrastructure.

As always find out more on http://pentestmag.com/ in section reviews.

The Great news is that you can receive one copy for Free! Just buy annual subscription to PenTest and contact us. We will take care of everything for you.

Enjoy reading!
<<

alucian

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 am

I have the mother of all the books:

TCP/IP Illustrated, 2nd edition

It is very comprehensive, it attacks all kind of subject, every chapter (eg TCP) talks about security, and the last chapter is only about security.
I have it, and it is the next book to read.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

hurtl0cker

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:21 am

I was checking the table of contents last day, I was really happy to see that there is a sub section of Attacks regarding every protocol, exactly 'mother of all the books'  ;D
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough: we must do.”
- Bruce Lee
<<

Seen

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:38 am

hurtl0cker wrote:I was checking the table of contents last day, I was really happy to see that there is a sub section of Attacks regarding every protocol, exactly 'mother of all the books'  ;D

Which book are you referring to?
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:21 am

I'm assuming he means the TCP/IP book and not the pentest mag spam.

I have been reading the Syngress titlehttp://www.amazon.com/Basics-Hacking-Penetration-Testing-Syngress/dp/1597496553/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323962441&sr=8-1

Really good foundational book for pen testing. It is my first attempt at a kindle book as well. Takes a minute to get used to, but I think I may go w/ Kindle books moving forward. Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody have an opinion on eReaders vs. paper books?
<<

unicityd

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:41 am

alucian wrote:I have the mother of all the books:

TCP/IP Illustrated, 2nd edition

I have the first edition.  I've read it twice and I still continue to refer back to it after twelve years.  It is the best technical book I've ever read.

I hope the 2nd edition is as strong, but the bar is very high.  The original author, W. Richard Stevens, passed away in 1999.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

hurtl0cker

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 pm

@ Seen - my bad, I didn't mention. I was referring to "TCP/IP Illustrated, 2nd edition", it looks really promising.

and right now I am going through "Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide" it is beyond my expectations, the book is not just about using nmap, it is well organized. I am learning a lot from it.

@ l33t5h@rk - I have tried reading books in e-format but it's not for me. I prefer reading paper books, it helps to stay off the screen for some time and flexibility of noting some points etc.
Last edited by hurtl0cker on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough: we must do.”
- Bruce Lee
<<

n3r

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes and we've discussed a lot about these books in the forum, just have a look at the book reviews forum  :D
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:22 pm

hurtl0cker wrote:@ l33t5h@rk - I have tried reading books in e-format but it's not for me. I prefer reading paper books, it helps to stay off the screen for some time and flexibility of noting some points etc.

Yeah, I'm going to finish the one I'm on and move to the next. I have an original Kindle and I'm pretty impressed w/ it. It is better than the kindle app for the android tablet I have, just seems better designed. Tough to go away from paper though, I hear what you're saying.

Return to Mass Media