Don talks Careers Tomorrow on Free Webcast

<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: Don talks Careers Tomorrow on Free Webcast

I unfortunately couldn't make it live, but I hit up the recording a bit after it was posted. It's been awhile now, but I remember everyone being very articulate and presenting the information in a concise and straight-forward manner.

I think the content was on the mark for the target audience. It may be rather simple in the grand scheme of things, but it's great information for those looking to either break into security or move beyond an entry-level role.

Like Hayabusa, I also found the background information to be interesting. And like you both, I don't have a degree either. I started bout 14 years ago and may even finish next year, but it hasn't held me back.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

m0wgli

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I missed this the first time round so am really glad this got a bump and caught my attention.

As part of the target audience I agree the content was spot on and a little spooky in my circumstances.

I'm UK based and have worked in various IT roles for nearly 14 years. For the past year and a half I have been studying with the aim of obtaining a job as a Junior Penetration Tester.

My training with regards to certs is limited by being self funded, therefore, I have focused on those that I can afford.

So far I've done Security + > studied for C|EH (decided not to take the exam in the end, mainly because of all the negative feedback I've heard. However, C|EH V8 sounds more promising) > OSWP > ecPPT.

I was fortunate enough earlier in the year to win a place on any 7safe course of my choice as well as a voucher to take the CRT (Crest Registered Tester) exam.

Currently I'm considering taking CSTA > OSCP > CRT.

I'd appreciate any advice whether or not this seems like the right path or there are other options I should pursue.
Last edited by m0wgli on Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

Jamie.R

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:26 am

It seem your heading in the right direction but of course this really does depend on what job you want. I am guessing you want pen testing job and if that the case I think you are on tract just carry on doing what your doing.

Where about in uk are you from ?
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

m0wgli

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Jamie, thanks for taking the time to reply. Your guess was correct. I am pursuing a career in Penetration Testing, although I did state that in my first post!

Without being too specific, I'm currently based in the South East of England.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
Previous

Return to Editor-In-Chief