Certification plans for 2012?

<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 am

Re: Certification plans for 2012?

Since half of the year is already over... how is everyone progressing with their certification goals?
<<

rattis

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:20 am

2 college classes down, I said I was going back to school. Trying to get into the digital forensics 1, but having some problems. I got the pre-req class waved but now I need an override to get in. Also doesn't help that there are limited number of seats due to the class being split with the Grad students.

I got the Elearn Sec class but haven't had as much time to work on it as I thought I would. Preping for a con does that. hopefully get better results in the next 2 months.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

sil

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 am

I've been swamped with stuff but began a six week class via Stanford
<<

unicityd

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

I've been in school so I haven't had time to focus on certs.  Four classes down so far this year: Forensics, Software Architecture, Network Security, and Security Management.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

alucian

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 pm

CISSP ISSAP done

This week I am doing SANS 504 - Incident handling (I will write a review when I'll finish it)

OSCP still to come

For the second half of 2012:  probably I'll try to pass GPEN. I would love to do a course in mobile security and/or intrusion detection. I still try to come up with the budget for one of them.

I was also thinking about the Corelan training, but I don't know if I can apply the knowledge in the real world (and... If you don't use it you'll lose it  ;) ).

If Offensive Security will have an online version for their web course I'll do it. If not... probably next year in the Caribbeans.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:52 pm

I was told that their Advanced Web Attacks course will become available in an online format by the end of the year. :)
<<

alucian

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 pm

@awesec - cool

I also forgot that I registered for the python course - SPSE but I really didn't had the time to go further than the first 3 videos. This one also is on my short list.  ???
<<

eth3real

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:45 pm

eth3real wrote:My certification plans for 2012:
Linux+
Network+
Security+
CISSP

I still have that CPTE that I need to finish up and take the exam for, but not exactly part of my 2012 goals. I may try to take that in January, hoping to take the first part of Linux+ exam in early February.

Wow, I missed it by a long shot. Abandoned Linux+, Network+, and Security+. Just passed CPTE a few days ago. Studying for CISSP, hopefully will attempt the exam within the next 90 days. :P

It's been a busy year for me so far, gotta catch up.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 pm

GWAPT and OSWP are down. I'll hopefully do OSCP and GCIA by the end of the summer. I recently started a new job and will be moving, so things have been on hold for a bit.

aweSEC wrote:I was told that their Advanced Web Attacks course will become available in an online format by the end of the year. :)

I may start this or OSCE later in the year if I can get everything else wrapped up.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Triban

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Not sure if it will happen this year, but probably going to get EnCE, boss wants me to take some classes.  Not on the path I was shooting for, but sometimes work goals trump personal. 
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

azmatt

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Ok, I'm late to this part but here goes.

Until three months ago I had no college experience and zero certs. The college will likely never come but I've been going all out on certs and have acquired my GCFA, CCFE, CHFI, CUCE (a mobile device forensics cert) and ACE. My plan for the rest of the year is to take my A+ test at the end of August, spend September and October prepping for and taking my Network +, spending November prepping for my sec +, taking the InfoSec Ethical Hacking course where I'll grab my CEH and CPT and then taking my Sec+ test right after that.

It will be a crazy few months and very costly but I'm having a blast learning. I'm really proud of what I've accomplished so far and looking forward to the next few months.
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

alucian

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 am

@azmatt

A+, Net+, Sec+ ??? Are you such a newbie?

They could help you get a job as a help desk, but... they are far away from security.

If you are new in IT ... they are a good intro, otherwise... go higher.

My opinion.
<<

azmatt

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm

I've been playing with computers my whole life but never did much with networking. I'm grabbing those three not to try to get a job but to make sure I have the baseline material for the "real" certs I plan on taking. Those 3 are 100% for me and my general knowledge level so I'm trying to knock them out asap.
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

alucian

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:40 am

In this case Good Luck!

And try to keep your eyes on the ball!
<<

sh4d0wmanPP

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:35 am

Aww, I did miss this topic. Earlier this year I passed CCNA and CCNA Security. Now I am looking at some pentest course, OSWP/OSCP/eCPPT. Not sure yet which ones I gonna take, all have pro's and con's. The only one I know for sure is OSCP but I have to schedule some holidays then haha.

Later this year I have to do Prince2 Foundation and TMAP Next Test Engineer. As you can imagine they are not my favorite ones so I have to throw a pentest cert in it to keep myself happy.
EXIN ISO/IEC 27002: ISF & ISMAS, ITIL Foundation, Comptia Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, Wip: OSWP
PreviousNext

Return to General Certification