Certification plans for 2012?

<<

knwminus

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:58 am

Re: Certification plans for 2012?

Oh I probably won't get CCIE completely done next year. Just the written. Although if I don't do CCNP:R/S.......

At any rate that is my 18 month goal (CCNP:S,CCNP,CCIE:S) with OSCP possibly mixed in there.
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

Triban

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:37 pm

dynamik wrote:You know you can challenge the exams, right? While $899 isn't cheap, it's still much more affordable than $4k. You just need to put in all the work of learning the material on your own ;)

For someone who has a good handle on the material and is just looking for the credential, it's a pretty good option.

haha, true, but yeah its a bit risky.  Besides I would much rather hit the class since they are good classes.  I still studied for another 3 weeks after I got my GCWN.  If I am going to drop 900 bucks I'd rather put it towards OSCP course and test.  Besides SANs is nice enough to give you "Free" iPads and knock off 400 bucks of the exam when you take the course :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:41 am

dynamik wrote:Edit: What the hell OP? You can't just throw out a question like that and not give a response yourself ;)

I'm not sure, but most probably it will be:
* ECSA/LPT
* OSCP
* CEPT
* OSWP
* GPEN or OSCE
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 am

knwminus wrote:At any rate that is my 18 month goal (CCNP:S,CCNP,CCIE:S) with OSCP possibly mixed in there.

Holy aggressive batman
<<

Triban

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 am

l33t5h@rk wrote:
knwminus wrote:At any rate that is my 18 month goal (CCNP:S,CCNP,CCIE:S) with OSCP possibly mixed in there.

Holy aggressive batman

He's a cylon...
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

knwminus

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:19 am

It isn't really too much imo (but I could be talking out of the side of my neck). I work with Routers and Firewalls everyday in a somewhat deep capacity. I am sitting my first CCNP:S exam next month (and the second one in Feb). There is a possibility that I will not do CCNP:R/S and instead go for CCIE:S and OSCP. We will see. That extra 600 for exams could go a long way for study material.

The OSCP is something that I want to do just so I can have some horsepower behind my Network Security certifications. I think many Network Security guys are strictly theory and I don't want to be that way.  Plus it will really help with my IPS studies (knowing what types of attacks are really out there, how to do them and how to defend against them).
Last edited by knwminus on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

Darktaurus

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 am

I am set for:

OSCE (taking on Christmas day)
CCNA
OSWP (upgrade to version 3)

Still trying to figure out what web application security courses are affordable and still good.
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

eth3real

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 am

This year should hopefully be busy for me.

My certification plans for 2012:
Linux+
Network+
Security+
CISSP

I still have that CPTE that I need ti finish up and take the exam for, but not exactly part of my 2012 goals. I may try to take that in January, hoping to take the first part of Linux+ exam in early February.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Agoonie I have not seen any course that are totally all about web apps that seem good I am hoping security tube will do one soon.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:13 am

Jamie.R wrote:Agoonie I have not seen any course that are totally all about web apps that seem good I am hoping security tube will do one soon.

Yeah I have not seen any either.  I think Joey McCray has a course in Maryland I would love to attend but it is really expensive.  I know my company is not paying for that one.  He has a cheaper one on SQLi for 400 bucks in January but I wont be able to do OSCE and that, at the same time.  OSCE is hard enough. :)

www.agoonie.com
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:55 am

Well im taking a break for the moment, I was recently in contact with a guy who has some programming experience, and I am hoping we can work out a mentorship deal.

IAC I am considering perhaps OSCP this year, if anything. I would be interested in seeing the Hacking Dojo material though as well.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:03 am

Agoonie wrote:
Jamie.R wrote:Agoonie I have not seen any course that are totally all about web apps that seem good I am hoping security tube will do one soon.

Yeah I have not seen any either.  I think Joey McCray has a course in Maryland I would love to attend but it is really expensive.  I know my company is not paying for that one.  He has a cheaper one on SQLi for 400 bucks in January but I wont be able to do OSCE and that, at the same time.  OSCE is hard enough. :)

He also offers online courses that are extremely affordable. It looks like the WebApp course is getting a refresh in March: http://strategicsec.com/services/traini ... es/online/
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Solinus

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:07 am

CISSP for sure. Hopefully before summer starts.
I need to take a Cisco so I can keep what I have current so I am going for the CCNA-Security.
I am also going to shoot for the Pentest Pro from eLearnSecurity.
And last, maybe try for the Wireshark Packet Analysis

Thats all, for now....
Kerry
MCITP:EA | MCTS(x5) | MCSA+ | MCSE+ | Security + | CCNA | WCSP |
DSCE | PCT |CIW Security Analyst | CSSA
<<

Darktaurus

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:55 am

dynamik wrote:
Agoonie wrote:

He also offers online courses that are extremely affordable. It looks like the WebApp course is getting a refresh in March: http://strategicsec.com/services/traini ... es/online/

Thanks.  I was looking at that page a while back but it is nice to know they are going to update it for the new year.  Sweet.  Hopefully I am done with the osce by then.  It would be a nice transition.  Of course, I am finding new ways to put off the ccna, oy vey....

www.agoonie.com
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:49 am

LPT, probably self study for a change, after that i think eCPPT would be fun :)
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
PreviousNext

Return to General Certification