Certification plans for 2012?

<<

millwalll

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Certification plans for 2012?

A lot of people planning on doing OSCP it would be cool if EH members got discount :P
<<

n3r

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:19 am

:D
I had the same idea
<<

vp75

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Awaiting for the same if any discounts for EH.net community with OSCP..
2011 - SWSE - joined for it, possibly will finish in first quarter of 2012
2012 - OSCP (To learn in depth)
2012 - SMFE
2012 - followed by CEH/eCPPT (Optional, if I complete the above two)

Jamie's idea of CREST/TIGER interests me as its recognised in UK. But haven't thought about it as its on long way ...
THanks
Vp
eCPPT
<<

rattis

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:18 pm

I didn't manage to get any of my cert goals dealt with this year. Most of next year is going to be focused on going back to college (at 34).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:20 am

@chrisj - that's an admirable goal, in and of itself.  Good luck!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

idr0p

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:33 am

I have changed up my 2012,

I am not going for GCFA, I will be taking a digital forensics masters course instead

I want to go for CISA, CISSP and GSEC (to get GSE)
GCIA GCIH GPEN GWAPT
Up Next: CISA CISSP
<<

rattis

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:45 pm

l33t5h@rk wrote:I have to say I'd like to give a big shout out to the www.ethicalhacker.net forum because I had generally given up on certifications but talking w/ you folks every day excites me to go after a few!

That's probably because like me, you've ran into too many people who go brain dump and get a cert just to try and look more impressive for a job. The ladies and guys on this forum tend to care less about the actual cert (though we brag when we get it) are really more interested in the content of the cert and actually learning something.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

rattis

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:11 pm

hayabusa wrote:@chrisj - that's an admirable goal, in and of itself.  Good luck!

If I'm lucky, and get all the classes the first time around, I should be out in 5 years. sigh.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:08 pm

chrisj wrote:That's probably because like me, you've ran into too many people who go brain dump and get a cert just to try and look more impressive for a job. The ladies and guys on this forum tend to care less about the actual cert (though we brag when we get it) are really more interested in the content of the cert and actually learning something.

Sums it up. I see to many people who in my opinion devalue certifications but around here it seems as if people place great value and pride into them.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:48 am

I only did eCPPT, CISM, and GCIH this year. I was hoping to also have OSCP and OSWP, but I just wasn't able to squeeze them in. I'm telling myself I subconsciously procrastinated to space out those CPEs ;)

I'm definitely going to take those on in 2012 I already have the materials and hate having things hanging over me. It looks like OSWP was updated since I last looked, so I'll have to get the upgrade materials for that one.

I'm debating CRISC because that'll round out the ISACA hat trick (I don't care about CGEIT). I also need to do GCIA and another GIAC cert or paper to become GSE-eligible.

I'm also focusing on finishing my degree. I just need to test out of a language (working on Japanese), and I'm done. I moved out of state for work and have been traveling a lot, and I just haven't been able to knock out those last two courses.

Edit: What the hell OP? You can't just throw out a question like that and not give a response yourself ;)
Last edited by dynamik on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Triban

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 am

chrisj wrote:
l33t5h@rk wrote:I have to say I'd like to give a big shout out to the www.ethicalhacker.net forum because I had generally given up on certifications but talking w/ you folks every day excites me to go after a few!

That's probably because like me, you've ran into too many people who go brain dump and get a cert just to try and look more impressive for a job. The ladies and guys on this forum tend to care less about the actual cert (though we brag when we get it) are really more interested in the content of the cert and actually learning something.

This forum definitely boosts the initiative to go for the certs.  I've certainly been more interested since being here.  Usually $$$ is what is holding me back though I try to find the money somewhere.  It would be nice if SANS offered up some payment plan but I think they are used to dealing with corporate environments rather than the individual self-employed type or contractor.  Thankfully there are more affordable options out there and even those that will cater to payments.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:21 am

3xban wrote:This forum definitely boosts the initiative to go for the certs.  I've certainly been more interested since being here.  Usually $$$ is what is holding me back though I try to find the money somewhere.  It would be nice if SANS offered up some payment plan but I think they are used to dealing with corporate environments rather than the individual self-employed type or contractor.  Thankfully there are more affordable options out there and even those that will cater to payments.

You know you can challenge the exams, right? While $899 isn't cheap, it's still much more affordable than $4k. You just need to put in all the work of learning the material on your own ;)

For someone who has a good handle on the material and is just looking for the credential, it's a pretty good option.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:36 pm

dynamik wrote:You know you can challenge the exams, right? While $899 isn't cheap, it's still much more affordable than $4k. You just need to put in all the work of learning the material on your own ;)

For someone who has a good handle on the material and is just looking for the credential, it's a pretty good option.

True as well, but slightly more risky whereas by attending the course you'd have not only the benefit of the instructor but the actual course material/notes.
<<

knwminus

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:55 pm

knwminus wrote:I know I want to take the following:

CCNP:S
OSCP

That'll take me to about June or July or so.

After that, things get interesting. My heart says go for CCIE:S but my head says do CCNP R/S. There is also the issue of my desire to do CWNA and CWSP.  I also want to do linux+ (since I am taking a linux course for school) but that may have to wait. What would help me the most at my job would be CCNP R/S (along with CCNP:S and OSCP) then some sans courses.

Well my boss helped me make this decision. CCNP,CCNP:S and CCIE:S written it is for this year. Maybe a training course. We will see.
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Really???  Your boss is pretty confident in you, to throw CCIE:S in AFTER the other two.  I wish you well!

Edit: meaning that's a lot, for one year, but if you're up to the task, I guess...
Last edited by hayabusa on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
PreviousNext

Return to General Certification