New Year New Start new Course

<<

millwalll

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:22 pm

New Year New Start new Course

Hi all,

So its nearly another year and I want start the new year as I mean to go on by progress my career in security. I am so far doing the Hackingdojo course(Nidan Level) I have also singed up to security-tube.net metasploit course. And have just purchased the new OSWP material to keep my wifi skill up to date.

I really want do another course that will improve my skills even more. I was looking at OSCP and Elearnsecurity pro as they seem to be about the same price and heard lots good things about them.

So my question are what one would you pick and why ? also do EH get any discount ?

or is there an even better course that is not mention I am looking at about $600 to spend.

Thanks
<<

Seen

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: New Year New Start new Course

Here's what I recently posted on eCPPT:

I highly recommend the eCPPT, for the cost it is probably the best entry level web hacking course/certification.  if you want to get into web penetration testing, but don't have much knowledge or experience, take the course.  There are 3 sections to the eCPPT: web, network, and system security.  The system section is all Windows-based, so they'll teach you how to write drivers, rootkits and buffer overflow exploits for Windows, which is pretty cool, but if you're not into Windows, then that probably won't be very useful to you.  The web section, however, is awesome and I highly recommend it, provided you don't really have any web security experience.  If you already know how to perform advanced XSS and SQL Injection exploits, the eCPPT is probably not for you.  Also, the actual final exam for the eCPPT only really tests the section on web security.

Also,  eCPPT is $599 with a 5% discount for EH members, the lowest cost of OSCP is $750 and up.
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Jamie!

Looking at what the Nidan level from HackingDojo teaches offers. I would say you would be prepped for the OSCP course and the eCPPT course. The Metasploit Course from SecurityTube looks very promising! Walking out of it and being well rounded in Metasploit will be a huge plus in PWB - especially since there's tons of machines sitting out there in OffSec's VPN Labs that could be popped with it. I think this is where SMFE and PWB will compare is by having accompany VPN labs to practice your skills in, but PWB takes it a lot further than just using Metasploit!

The eLearnSecurity course is fun also. The certification exam is also hands on and focuses on a Web App Pen-test. Seen is absolutely right, EH members are entitled to a 5% discount which can be redeemed here.

Having taken both courses and leaving a review on both, I'm hoping they'll help you out, check out the threads below:
eCPPT Certified!
PWB v3 Review

Either route you go your going to learn a ton. Both are great courses and although around $600 is your budget, if you do decide on PWB I would highly recommend purchasing at least 60 days of lab access.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

millwalll

Post Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks I really need to think about it I would love to do both but money just so tight at the moment I don't know if I am better to do eCPPT Certified! first then once I got more money do OSCP that way I can buy more lab time
<<

millwalll

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Does anyone know if i can  use the 5% discount if we pay by module rather than paying all at once ? Is there a lot of coding in the elearn course as I suck big time at writing code(I am working on this) I think I maybe going for elearn as I cant afford to pay £500+ in one go least with elearn  you can pay by module. I wish OSCP was like this too.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Jamie.R wrote:Does anyone know if i can  use the 5% discount if we pay by module rather than paying all at once ? Is there a lot of coding in the elearn course as I suck big time at writing code(I am working on this) I think I maybe going for elearn as I cant afford to pay £500+ in one go least with elearn  you can pay by module. I wish OSCP was like this too.

I'm not sure about the discount, but as for the coding part - I was able to get through the material without knowing how to code.  I'm a little familiar with PHP, but if somebody were to ask me to code something on my own, there'd be a lot of search engine use to figure it out haha.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 am

Think I will send them email as price does not make sense so will have to get confirmation.
<<

Gromic

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Like you Jamie I am also planning on doing the eCPPT in 2012. ( I would have already started, but you can only delay the lab for about 3 months after signing in for the course... So, since I won't have time before march '12 I have to wait to register till end of december...)  

But my goal is also to get the OSCP since it seems to be more known by companies. At least I saw it mentioned in more job descriptions. Unfortunately the eCPPT is not mentioned very often (yet?). The CEH is more known even though it seems to be way more theoretical then practical... So, why do companies value theory more then practical skills?!  
Nevertheless, from what I read here and in other forums I think the eCPPT is a really good start into ITSEC and I hope it will get more appreciated by companies in the future.
Last edited by Gromic on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking .... Please Wait...
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:48 am

Cool Just FYI you cant use the 5% discount on the pay as you go option.
<<

vp75

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Jamie,
I did had the same plan of course like pay as you go for three modules, but 5% news is new to me....I was hoping this would help me...anyway, got to finish the SWSE and then will think about OSCP...
Cheers
Vp
eCPPT
<<

Gromic

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:19 pm

@Jamie thx for the info
Thinking .... Please Wait...

Return to Career Central