Shmoocon 2012 - Call for CTF team members

<<

rance

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Shmoocon 2012 - Call for CTF team members

I've been talking about it, now that I have a ticket, here it is.

Shmoo has a CTF event (last years: http://www.shmoocon.org/ghost_in_the_shellcode), and I'd like to get a team prepped and ready to go for the win!  I'm of course assuming they take teams...

Looks like there will be a pre-con challenge (probably to make sure your team isn't just going to eat up space), but they don't have details yet.

Anyway, if you're going to be at the con and you want to be on the team, post here.  As more details become available from Shmoo, I'll give updates here.

Let's rock this motha'! :)
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

eth3real

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Shmoocon 2012 - Call for CTF team members

Doesn't the CTF competition last the entire conference? I'd love to take a crack at the challenge beforehand, but since this is my first conference, I'll probably skip the competition and attend the talks. I will definitely be at LockPick Village. :)
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Best place to learn lock picking? 
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

eth3real

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:44 pm

El33tsamurai wrote:Best place to learn lock picking? 

Probably at home with a small set of lockpicks and a tension bar, some locks that you can practice with, and youtube. There are tons of resources and tutorials for lockpicking, and while you may be able to get a hands-on demonstration at a conference, the best way to learn is practice. And honestly, there are some very good tutorials on youtube. I heard some very good things about Schuyler Towne’s 24-Part Online Lockpicking Course, though I have not gone through it myself.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:47 am

Thanks alot man, seen many places that sell lock picking kits.  Where would you say is the best place to buy a set?
<<

eth3real

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:41 pm

I got mine from a flea market near where I live, but I think online might be the most convenient route. I believe Lock Picking 101 has a good shop, and maybe eBay if you're looking for better prices.
<<

eth3real

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:42 pm

rance, sorry for hijacking your thread. ;D
<<

rance

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 pm

eth3real wrote:rance, sorry for hijacking your thread. ;D

No worries :)  If the CTF falls through, I'll probably be spending a lot of time in LPV myself.  And the CTF will only last the entire conf if our team sucks.  I say we get in there, finish all the challenges the first day, then move on... :)
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:30 pm

If I was going I would but I am not sorry.
<<

eth3real

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm going to wait until they start releasing more details about the competition. Maybe I will join in if they get me hooked with the pre-con challenge. I like your idea of get everything done the first day, then party. ;D
<<

psifertex

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:35 am

rance wrote:
eth3real wrote:rance, sorry for hijacking your thread. ;D

No worries :)  If the CTF falls through, I'll probably be spending a lot of time in LPV myself.  And the CTF will only last the entire conf if our team sucks.  I say we get in there, finish all the challenges the first day, then move on... :)

Based on that criteria, no one as ever played Ghost in the Shellcode who didn't suck. ;-) We usually bring a lot more challenges and a lot more difficult challenges than teams can handle. That said, I'd love it if a team won out all of them early. Just be warned that there will be a lot.

If you saw our warmup round, there will be about 7 times as many challenges as that in the finals. There will be a better mix of easier difficulties too, but it should be a lot of work. Yes, it sucks to miss some of the con (I'm even speaking, so I'm encouraging people to miss my own talk by running the ctf that way!), but oh well. We promise there will be some fun doing the CTF in-person that you can't have by playing it online.

Of course, this is also the first year we're opening up the finals to online teams too, so I suspect a lot of the teams that play will be online.

Return to General Certification