Mile2 CPTE Review

<<

triznut

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Mile2 CPTE Review

I just recently took the CPTE exam. I would say it is on-par with the CEHv6 exam.
MCITP:SA, LPIC-L1, CWNA, SEC+, C|EH , C|PTE
<<

repins13

Post Sat May 26, 2012 10:40 am

I have been a full time penetration tester working for an international security consulting firm for the last 15 years. Penetration testing is still my day to day business.

To be fair, Mile2 courses (CPTE, CPTS, CDFE) in a way are more structured and organized than EC's one. If you are a new comer to Pen Testing arena, the last thing you want is to attend a course that shows you all sort of different tools but didn't teach you much in theory and practical, e.g. CEH

Some of the common mistakes new comers make (in evaluating effective pen test trainings):

1. Tools + Tools + Tools: If you want to learn about pen testing, learn about the theory behind exploits, not which tools to use. In this case, Mile2's CPTE beat CEH flat!

2. OS, software versions: Don't be surprise to see even the latest pen testing courses still teaching you how to hack Windows 2000. Remember, you want to learn the fundamental that matters, not just tools!

Just to give you another example, SANS Advanced Cutting Edge Hacking  517 (2012) still teaching how to hack Win XP!

3. Look at the certification value: I have personally seen way too many "CEH" who don't know shit about ethical hacking. Google for CEH braindump, it's not hard to find abundance of questions.

4.  Myth on Latest & Greatest tools + exploits: Don't be fooled by trainings that promised latest and greatest tools (e.g. CEH), I'd recommend you to check out the latest CEH training courseware (be resourceful, google for: Rapidshare CEH slides etc....), one word: junk.

I'm not bias against any pen testing courses, but if you want to compare the quality of CEH and Mile2's CPTE. You can forget about CEH, and yes, you hear this from a 15 years veteran in Penetration Testing industry.

best regards,

repins13
<<

impelse

Post Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

Do you want publicity, talk with Don, 15 years in the pentest arena and you come with your first post with publicity, you're fire.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

ZeroOne

Post Sat May 26, 2012 4:34 pm

repins13 wrote:I have been a full time penetration tester working for an international security consulting firm for the last 15 years. Penetration testing is still my day to day business.

To be fair, Mile2 courses (CPTE, CPTS, CDFE) in a way are more structured and organized than EC's one. If you are a new comer to Pen Testing arena, the last thing you want is to attend a course that shows you all sort of different tools but didn't teach you much in theory and practical, e.g. CEH

Some of the common mistakes new comers make (in evaluating effective pen test trainings):

1. Tools + Tools + Tools: If you want to learn about pen testing, learn about the theory behind exploits, not which tools to use. In this case, Mile2's CPTE beat CEH flat!

2. OS, software versions: Don't be surprise to see even the latest pen testing courses still teaching you how to hack Windows 2000. Remember, you want to learn the fundamental that matters, not just tools!

Just to give you another example, SANS Advanced Cutting Edge Hacking  517 (2012) still teaching how to hack Win XP!

3. Look at the certification value: I have personally seen way too many "CEH" who don't know shit about ethical hacking. Google for CEH braindump, it's not hard to find abundance of questions.

4.  Myth on Latest & Greatest tools + exploits: Don't be fooled by trainings that promised latest and greatest tools (e.g. CEH), I'd recommend you to check out the latest CEH training courseware (be resourceful, google for: Rapidshare CEH slides etc....), one word: junk.

I'm not bias against any pen testing courses, but if you want to compare the quality of CEH and Mile2's CPTE. You can forget about CEH, and yes, you hear this from a 15 years veteran in Penetration Testing industry.

best regards,

repins13

+1  ;)
<<

Izhar

Post Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 am

I just took CPTE course last month and going through its videos and other stuff, and there is good news for you guys who complaining about its out dated material, it is now up to date and there is much more to learn.

But to be very honest, I won’t say anybody to go for CPTE now because it has up to date material etc. After reviewing previous comments, I would be very straightforward to suggest that don’t ruin your career and don’t change your decision just because of other opinions. Review, analyze, sort out the facts and then decide. This is what I have done and I am 110% satisfy with my selection.
CISSP, CISSO, CEH, CPTE, ITIL, PCI DSS V3
<<

Pholarbi

Post Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks repins 13 for posting this detailed comparison between CEH and CPTE. I don’t have any concern if you are doing any sort of publicity here or not? I always follow the facts and I am totally agreed with your point of view. CPTE is beyond use of hacking tools, it is well structured ethical hacking course, it not just based on exploit theory, tools but OS like BackTrack 5, Windows 7 and windows 2008 server. I have found updated material and as i have seen all CPTE videos, they were all on BackTrack 5.

When i have joined CPTE i was just a beginner, but i can certainly say CPTE has explore my hacking vision. It doesn’t confine you how to use any hacking tool but enable you to develop your own hacking tools. It is really a true learning source for beginners and for experts I guess.
Last edited by Pholarbi on Sun May 27, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

parispen

Post Sun May 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks to all the participants. The information provided here is really helpful for the new comers into this field of information security. I knew about EC-Council for some time. I Could not take CEH course as it's quite expensive (6,299.00 MYR). I found Mile2 when i started looking for other similar training companies whose prices are almost half of EC's. When i compare the syllabus , it's the same. Then i went for Mile2's CPTE course and passed the exam(even though it's a little bit harder). My experience is that the videos from Mile2 are very good and Mile2 is quite established worldwide. The explanation in the videos is very clear not only from the tools perspective but also from the technical explanation point of view of the same. I learned all the stuff with the latest Backtrack 5 and i watch the videos regularly and they are updated quite frequently. So far, i have no regrets.
Last edited by parispen on Mon May 28, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Meekal 152

Post Mon May 28, 2012 5:06 am

Hi parispen , you have mentioned about the CEH course cost, which is too expensive than CPTE  but few days before, EC has announced free CEH online exam preparation.  You can see this link http://www.felipemartins.info/2012/05/live-online-ceh-exam-prep-clinic-for-free/

I was really interested to attempt CEH course because EC is the older certification body than Mile2. But now got confusion, I don’t know why are they doing so? Either they are losing their worth or want to attract students? What I believe demanded certification couldn’t be free of cost, because of their own worth. Earlier comments made me in favor of CEH, but last comments showing CTPE is much better in learning perspective.

Of course, I don’t want to waste my money but also not willing to choose the wrong one as well, I want a real learning course, which can help me to enhance my career rather than spoiling it. So far as I am thinking to go with CPTE. I will be wonder, if someone will suggest, if am thinking wrong? Please be sincere while suggesting, because it is all about my career.
Last edited by Meekal 152 on Mon May 28, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Triban

Post Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 am

hmmm all posters seem to be VERY new, I sense a pattern.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

impelse

Post Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 pm

I am still counting, lol. First post and keep talking the same. I already told them, Don can give them good advertisement.

I took CEH and bought Mile2 training, and they are the same. So they keep talking about big difference, nop.

Now OSCP is really completely different and it is making me crazy.  ;D
CCNA Security

<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon May 28, 2012 9:59 pm

hmmm, I wonder if they have any affiliation with Mile2? HAHA

I'm surprised there were no coupons in those posts.
<<

impelse

Post Mon May 28, 2012 10:20 pm

cd1zz wrote:hmmm, I wonder if they have any affiliation with Mile2? HAHA

I'm surprised there were no coupons in those posts.

LOL
CCNA Security

<<

Anand_valli

Post Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 pm

I've passed CPTE and CDFE from Mile2. I'm so happy about the content of the materials and the tools used for the lab. If you go through the CEH, it will confuse you and the lab manual is not good. Mile2 lab manual gives you step by step guide as how to perform the lab. I'm 100% satisfied with Mile2 and am suggesting Mile2 to many and discourage to go for CEH.

Regards,
V.Anandharaj CPTE, CDFE
<<

Anand_valli

Post Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Mile2 Course material is up to date and  reflects Backtrack 5 and advanced penetration testing and hacking labs. I gone through CEH course material and not happy with it but Mile2 CPTE course material is good and Mile2 picked-up the best  tools for the lab manual.

Regards
Anandharaj CPTE, CDFE
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 am

meh
PreviousNext

Return to Network Pen Testing