Good news!

<<

r2s

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Good news!

Well played boss :)

Glad to see things in motion with you! VA, MD, DC is definitely a good place to be for security jobs.
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 am

Well played Sir, well played !!!!!! Epic congratz.......
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

Joshsevo

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:26 pm

I am so happy I landed this job.  It literally is my dream job.  Doing computer forensics for a Govt company like the CIA,NSA, DEA etc...

This is such an awesome opportunity for me that as soon as they offered me the job I accpeted it.  It's a no brainer.

Besides I've lived in VA while in the Navy in Norfolk and I enjoyed my time there.
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Congrats, Joshsevo!
<<

Joshsevo

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:26 pm

well this is now on hold for the time being for a few reasons.

I my Secret clearance went inactive 6 days ago on Nov 30th.  Since it's been 5 yrs since I got out and supposedly they go inactive after 5 yrs.  So I need a new clearance now.

Which requires me to get a background check and I am slightly worried about this, so give me your opinion on this.

Smoked weed a few times between 96-99.  All of this has been disclosed to the Navy prior to joining and then also prior to my getting my secret clearance.  So the last time I smoked it was in early 99'.  Got a few small misdemeanors on my record.  All for missing court for speeding tickets, which they issued a bench warrant.  These were in 1999/2000.

So what do you guys think?  Yay or Ney that I will get approved. I only need a Secret to get this job.
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I would edit the post......
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

venom77

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:34 pm

I don't have any personal experience with clearances but if memory serves correct you should be okay on the weed/drugs thing (has to be beyond 3 years since your last use - and you had to have smoked more than 11 times).

Not sure on the driving record and warrant but would imagine it was long enough ago that it's not a big deal. I assume you've taken care of them?
<<

Joshsevo

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Oh ya, everything was taken care of long long long time ago.  When I was 18 and I'm what 32 now.

Will edit in a bit

I was a young kid that had a 360 Hp muscle car as his first car and I fooled around.

It's funny now as I am a better driver with a 900 hp car now.  lol. I got bad habits from my dad, Mr. Leadfoot
<<

dzap

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:49 am

Congratulations on the job offer!! 

I haven't been through the security clearance process yet so can't offer any advice there. 

As for living in the DC area, like everybody said, it is the BEST place for any IT work, especially in security.  The other piece of advice I would offer you is to find a place to live (maybe start renting) close to your place of work.  Springfield is close enough to Lorton and if you ever end up working in DC or anywhere that is metro accessible, you have the metro in Springfield.  Driving on 95 to get to work is no joke.  Not only is it a horrible commute, but in the worst of cases it can cost you your life due to the superb and polite drivers we have here in the DC area.
Security+, MCITP-SA, GSEC.
<<

Triban

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:55 am

That is the case for 95 through most of the North East corridor :D  here in CT it is insane, merging apparently is like learning a 2nd language as the wonderfully intelligent folks try to merge their oversized SUV going 50 into traffic going 80 while drinking their Starbucks double mocha lowfat grande latte with soy milk and talking on their phones.  I had a client in Greenich and it would take me the same amount of time to drive down 684 in NY to get to Greenich, only I was moving the whole. 

But I digress :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

rance

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Congrats on the job offer!

If I may inquire, where did they "find" your resume?  I might like to be "found" sometime very soon.  ;D
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

Joshsevo

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Ya I have no idea where they found my resume other than the regular sites, monster, Dice, USAjobs, indeed..etc.  We never really spoke about that.

I've heard about 95 and already looked at some houses.  Fully plan on renting for a while till I get in and get comfortable with my new settings, pay some bills off.  Get me a sportbike again.

Soak up all the info the Sr forensics guys can give me and learn from the best.....All while completing my Master's degree.
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:33 am

Well done and don't worry about moving. I was in same situation as you apart from I didn't have wife and kid. You will be fine I sure you make friends at work in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted :P
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 am

Everyone I know with clearance has told me they're looking for a pattern of behavior in the background check. The worst thing to do is to lie and for them to find out. They want to know if you're an upstanding citizen now and that you have no skeletons in the closet that you might use for financial gain to take care of some of those skeletons.  For example, if you're a heavy gambler with huge debts owed to a bookie, you might be more apt to sell a national secret to settle those debts. Probably a bad example but none the less, you get the point.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:48 pm

The secret clearance process is for the most part following paper trails.

They will look at your previous applications, so there are no secrets as far as what you've already disclosed. However, when you fill out the forms, read the questions carefully. Most of them will say "within the past 5 years" or something similiar. Answer the questions EXACTLY as they are written. Others will say something similiar to "Have you ever." This would be the appropriate place to disclose anything not in the past 5 years.

If I remember correctly, you'll have space to explain the situation on anything relating to arrests and drug use and the like. In that space I would explain that you had already disclosed the information when you first applied for the Secret clearance. That will prompt them to go look at any documentation that was done on the previous background investigation.
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
PreviousNext

Return to Career Central