How do you study for recertification?

<<

Eleven

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:39 am

How do you study for recertification?

What do you do to study for recertification when the exam is likely to of changed after ~4 years?  If it's something like SANS do you go through the course again or study the course outline and hope you  got the right material?
Last edited by Eleven on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: How do you study for recertification?

Hello Eleven,

Luckily I haven't had to do this and don't have to with my current certifications but what I would do is keep up-to-date with my knowledge throughout the years. If were talking about SANS specifically, and you took one of their courses, I'd recommend going back through the material to refresh your knowledge, compare the course outline from how it was then and how it differs now & just study up on the topics that you haven't learned. What's great about SANS is that their exams are open book (from what I have heard), this can help out a ton!

If you do have the funds to take the class again I'm sure that'd help out a ton but it's all about study, study, study!

Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Eleven

Post Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:41 pm

I agree, the open book policy SANS has helps a lot.  I'm pretty sure some exams like CEH v6 to CEH v7 changes a lot, so I'm wondering how much SANS exams change over the years.  The exams are pretty expensive so failing one would suck.
<<

r2s

Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:47 am

xXxKrisxXx wrote:Hello Eleven,

Luckily I haven't had to do this and don't have to with my current certifications but what I would do is keep up-to-date with my knowledge throughout the years. If were talking about SANS specifically, and you took one of their courses, I'd recommend going back through the material to refresh your knowledge, compare the course outline from how it was then and how it differs now & just study up on the topics that you haven't learned. What's great about SANS is that their exams are open book (from what I have heard), this can help out a ton!

If you do have the funds to take the class again I'm sure that'd help out a ton but it's all about study, study, study!

Kris

+1. I just got into the cert arena a little bit ago and my re-cert is coming up for Cisco but they work differently. I write all my notes down in college notebooks, index them, and review them on a somewhat regular basis. I also throw in labbing on a regular basis (2-3 times a week) to keep sharp on older ways of doing x, y, and z and then try to implement newly released methods doing the exact same thing.
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

DollarBill

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Well with the CEH, once you get that done you can move on to other certs.  I have been told by several people that the dif betwen the V6 and V7 of CEH is so small that you can use the V6 study material to pass the V7.  If anyone knows otherwise I would like to hear back.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Should be correct. The objectives have changed little, if at all.
<<

Porter Carey 423

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

These thorough study guides explain the HR certification process and how to prepare for the exam. Most important, they provide a practice exam, which is based on the exam content, the correct answers and the rationale behind each answer.
You may purchase the GPHR Certification Guide for US$25 (non-SHRM members) or US$20 for SHRM members. The PHR/SPHR Certification Guide is US$29.99 (non-SHRM members) or US$25 for SHRM members.
Both guides are available from the SHRMStore for these prices.
The guides are also available for US $25 from national online booksellers such as Amazon.com  or Barnes&Noble.com.  ;D

Return to General Certification