[Article]-October 2011 Free Giveaway Winners - Mile2

<<

venom77

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: [Article]-October 2011 Free Giveaway Winners - Mile2

FYI for anyone else that may have this thinking...

I don't particularly have any interest in Mile2, their products, or certifications, or think any of it is worthwhile at the moment.

I thought maybe I'd check out the CPTConsultant but it's only offered as a $450 self-study kit. Figured this is well under $800 for the CBT + exam (plus I had to pay shipping costs). I was successful in completing the order with the voucher but they emailed me back saying I couldn't get it.

So, now I'm just waiting for my refund ::)
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

I was a little shocked by the email that said we had to register for the exam voucher, TODAY!  Not much time for a full decision.

That said, though, it's free, so I'll still work through the CSWAE I signed up for...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:20 pm

I didn't know about the one day time limit. If anyone has trouble, please PM me. As always, I'll do everything I can to fight for EH-Netters.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 pm

It said something about the voucher expiring at end of November, so we had to hurry up and use it.  Then he sent a different one, because the first was $100 low, or something along those lines.  Very confusing...

In my case, I got registered, so I'm fine.  It just threw me for a bit. 

I'd even emailed them for clarification, and hadn't heard back.  But since I had an idea what I wanted, anyway, I just went ahead and registered.  Like I said, it's free!  I take advantage of any free training, even if just to learn more.

Thanks, don!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

KrisTeason

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Congrats winners! With all of the seats being handed out, and people choosing between so many courses, I would love to hear some reviews of their training after all of you take it ( :

Has the player to be named been named yet by chance!?
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:46 pm

I'll def review CSWAE for EH-net. 

The website said it was 'new,' so I'm curious to go through it.  I glanced through a few modules, briefly, and it definitely is geared more towards a secure web developer, from what little I saw this afternoon, but it still looked interesting.  There is a section that is titled 'Web App Pentesting," so I'm curious where they take it.  I know it also had some other sections about CSS and CSRF, so we'll see.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

alucian

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 pm

@hayabusa

It is good that you took CSWAE and you'll review it.

I took CDRE (I hope they will accept it). If they do, I will review it for EH-net.

Good luck to all the students!
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

tturner

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm about 1/3 of the way through CSWAE as well. So far it's pretty basic but seems to be explaining topics well. Seems geared towards web devs with zero security knowledge. Hoping it gets a bit more technical. I want to see more bad code vs good code and an explanation of why it's good or bad. That's where I'm weak. I have theory coming out of my ears and have a great understanding of things like OWASP top 10 and what they are but I desperately want practical application. Like what does a SQLi vuln look like in the code? What does a XSS vuln look like? If it's not a variable being echoed back to the user I can't spot it in the code. I'm really hoping CSWAE goes there. If not I need to identify some other options.

I'll be happy to provide some more in depth feedback once I finish the course but am also interested in what Hayabusa has to say about it.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

p0et

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 am

Whoa!  Glad I checked my email tonight (was out all day).  I thought I would have some time to think about which course I wanted to take.  (CPEH vs CPTE)  Since I only had a matter of a couple hrs to decide, I went with CPTE and registered for the exam.  I haven't looked  yet to see when I actually have to write the exam.  I see a note saying that it's currently in the process of being updated with new labs and dvd's for that course... hope that doesn't mean it's too outdated right now.

Are any of the other winners purchasing a "Course Kit" as well as the CBT course you won? 
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

p0et

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:21 am

It doesn't mention in the email anything about using the voucher to purchase the CBT course.  Do we need to use the voucher by end of the night tonight for the CBT course as well?

Anyone going for the DVD instead of the Online Streaming?  I was thinking of doing this for CPTE but then on the page it says they're in the process of updating the DVD.. so not sure.
Last edited by p0et on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:00 am

It didn't 'appear,' anyway, that I was able to do DVD, rather than streaming.  So I chose streaming, to just get started into it, as I have some free time coming up fast.  But DVD version would've been nice.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Triban

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:29 am

I didn't see the option for the DVD either.  One would think the streamed versions would contain the updated info before the DVD got it.  Guess we will see.  Hey its a free course so I have not set the expecations too high.  Probably won't bother with the course kit.  Seeing that it is almost as much as the CBT.  I am paying for RSA out of pocket this year so budget is tight :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 am

I ALMOST emailed them, to ask if we got the deal for free course kit, for ordering video and exam by end of month - from the Banner ad on EH, all of November, and still up, this morning.  ;D  (That said, if they decide, for anyone else, that they want to do that, please let me know...  I'm never against reading materials, and have a week-long road trip coming up)

But I figured I'd be thankful for what we got (again, freebie,) and see what the training has to offer.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

BillV wrote:FYI for anyone else that may have this thinking...

I don't particularly have any interest in Mile2, their products, or certifications, or think any of it is worthwhile at the moment.

Shots fired!

Care to elaborate?
<<

venom77

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:33 pm

l33t5h@rk wrote:
BillV wrote:FYI for anyone else that may have this thinking...

Shots fired!

Care to elaborate?

Haha! I guess when you pull it from the rest of the context that was with it, it does sound kind of evil. The FYI was more for the second part of that post. The part you've referenced was on a personal level. They were nice about the mix-up and refunded my money with no problems. They've also offered to add my choice of CBT to my account per the giveaway.

I don't have anything particularly against Mile2. I just don't see value in their certifications in the field at the moment. The knowledge learned from the course may certainly be worth something but I don't feel any of it will add anything to my qualifications or really be beneficial to me.

I'd much rather see this go to someone who can use it to advance their career or gain knowledge from the course. I never had them add a CBT to my account so there's no reason someone else can't have this - would hate to see it go unused.
PreviousNext

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net