Time required for the PWB online course?

<<

VashTS

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 am

Time required for the PWB online course?

I have been thinking of taking the PWB course for a while, but I haven't had the time to consider it. My manager keeps asking if there is any training we would like and I wanted to bring up the PWB course, but I'm not sure how to bring it up since it's pretty much learn on your own.

I was thinking of asking for the course and a certain amount of time away from the office to work on it like it would be for a course in a different city, but from all that I've read I still can't figure out how much time that would be.

Is this type of thing a bad idea for this course? What else would you guys suggest instead?
2K3 MCSE, A+, Security+, SSCP, CCNA, CCNA Security
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Time required for the PWB online course?

I remember asking this exact question and people in the IRC just laughed.

It takes a ton of time. I honestly probably put an extra 4-5 hours a day after work and even more on the weekends for over 2 months. Every now and then I would burn out and take a few days off but honestly you need to be able to dedicate lots of time. I suppose if you're already very familiar with the material it will be less. Hopefully you'll just be enthralled and it wont seem like work.
<<

VashTS

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:09 am

Yeah. I found a similar question after searching, but I was wondering about people thoughts on taking a chunk of time off of work to work on it. It might be a stretch to think I could get enough time off to do it, but I figured I'd ask people that were familiar with the course.

If it's not a good fit for this type of thing I will look into something else.
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:14 am

There's nothing wrong with that if your employer would let you! Your "burn out factor" will be much less if you're not putting in 16 hour days... You could probably get through the material even faster too. I say go for it! It's a great course.
<<

VashTS

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 am

Any thoughts on how long it would take to get through the course doing it about 7.5 hours a day (taking breaks for lunches etc.)?

The last thing I want to do is rush through the material. I am really looking forward to it.
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am

Not really sure where your skill set is but if you're just interested in going through the material, it wont take that long. 80% of your time will be on your own research and in the lab. Have you looked at the syllabus yet? http://www.offensive-security.com/docum ... curity.pdf

I actually bought an additional 15 days in the lab, so I worked on it for about 75 days. I did it almost every day, so if you work on it 8 hours a day and you were at the same level I was, you might be able to cut that in half... a total guess though.
<<

VashTS

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:15 pm

I just took a look at the live version and it's a 5 day course. I'm not sure how long each day is, but it seems to me like I could take the online course and do it in five days (almost like a vacation week) unless I'm missing something..

I know the labs aren't included in that time, but I'm hoping I can take some of my own time and set it aside for that.
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:30 pm

If you have professional experience in pentesting (>2 years), 30 days should be enough to get through the materials and root all boxes. If you have less, you'll probably need 60+ days.
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 am

Vash

Getting through the material is one thing, actually practicing it in the lab is another. One thing you should know, they dont tell you everything. Part of the process is to extend what they show you...X100

The lab is where the real learning takes place. Hope that helps!
<<

VashTS

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks. It does help. I'm just trying to make sure what I'm asking for from my management is feasible. Maybe I can get them to include some lab time in it, but I guess we'll see.

So do you get your own lab you can work on whenever you can or do you have a set of problems where you need to start a scenario and finish it in that same time frame. My free time comes and goes sporadically and it would be much better if I started something and didn't have to have it reset every time I exited it. I might have to see if I can find some more definitive info on the Internet.

I'm a little worried my lack of any programming is going to hurt me a lot in this though..  :(
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:25 am

When you buy lab time, it starts on a specific date and ends on a specific date. The lab is a simulated pentest situation. It has 4 connected networks and the ultimate goal is to hack everything and anything in your way.

The lab is just a bunch of VMs and there are a limited number of students on the same lab as you. This means that sometimes the VMs get reset. This can be a little frustrating but if you document how you rooted each box, then re-rooting it isn't really a big deal.

Dont worry about the programming. I would read my review on my blog and also some of the others for details and to give you a better idea of what you're in for. It is incredibly fun, but will consume your life.
<<

VashTS

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks so much for helping me with all of this. I just spoke to my manager and submitted the syllabus with the course cost info and he seemed to think it was a good fit. The biggest problem would be finding the time to let me do it since we're all so busy around here lately.

Also, I just read your review of it on your blog and it made me even more excited about it. Thanks again!
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Good luck and report back on your progress!

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional