Remote work

<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Remote work

So it looks as though I may be moving to a small town that doesn't have many companies, therefore not many opportunities for IT.  I'm still wanting to move into the security realm (which this town has even less opportunities for), so I'm looking at options for working remotely.  I was wondering if you guys may be able to help me find some companies that do this, and maybe types of positions that are more likely to work remotely.  I've found Accuvant Labs to be mostly remote work.  And it seems web app pentesting would be one of the more likely positions to allow remote work.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:55 am

Re: Remote work

Web apps would be the best solution as its all done over the net so working remote is not a problem. However if you are new to the industry many companies don't like letting new member work from home until they know them and trust them.

I would say get really good at web apps if you are not already as the better you are the more you can offer the more the company will want to help you power you  Also make sure where you moving to has good net connection as again if you cant test because your net drops every hour it will cause problems.

the only thing you can do is try get a lot experience where I currently work they only let you work remote if you live far and have like 3 years experience within security.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:40 am

Have you looked at Trustwave?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:39 am

I know they are looking for staff but again it does depend on experience if they let you work from home.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 am

Jamie.R wrote:Web apps would be the best solution as its all done over the net so working remote is not a problem. However if you are new to the industry many companies don't like letting new member work from home until they know them and trust them.

I would say get really good at web apps if you are not already as the better you are the more you can offer the more the company will want to help you power you  Also make sure where you moving to has good net connection as again if you cant test because your net drops every hour it will cause problems.

the only thing you can do is try get a lot experience where I currently work they only let you work remote if you live far and have like 3 years experience within security.

Thanks for your input, Jamie.  That was my logic regarding web apps as well :P  The thing about web app experience at my current job is that I'm currently a network/system administrator.  While web app tech is very interesting to me and I study it in my own time, I'm afraid not having the professional web app dev experience is going to hurt me in the long run.  This move is still up in the air though, so I'm just scoping out possibilities to prepare myself.

don wrote:Have you looked at Trustwave?

Don

I hadn't, thanks Don :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:13 am

Many companies either send a physical box to the client site or setup a VPN connection. That way, it is very possible to do network pen testing from a remote location. That could be a home office or a corporate location not located in the same city as the client.

Gotta love this biz! I'm lucky enough to be a stay-at-home Dad and still do this.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

chrisg

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 am

most of the security consultancies let you live anywhere and just fly when you need to go to customer's location. so having any airport reasonably close would be the only requirement.

you could check out fishnet, trustwave, rapid7, accuvant, etc

Return to Career Central