First Rack Suggestions/Help

<<

Seen

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 pm

First Rack Suggestions/Help

So I'm putting together my first rack for my CCNA lab and I want it to hold the following:

3 2950 switches
1 1841 Router
1 1760 Router
1 2621XM Router
1 Access Server
1 Power Strip

This is the rack I was planning on getting:

http://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-Stands-RS7030-OnStage-Stand/dp/B000CD1R84

However, the 1841 is too small to be rack mounted. I was thinking about getting a shelf, but this rack is slanted, and I don't think it's a good idea to put a shelf on it.

Anyone with more rack building experience have any ideas?

Also, I was planning to rear-mount the routers and front-mount the switches for easy access to the ports I need the most.  Does this sound like a good idea?  Like I said, I've never put together a rack before, so any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Re: First Rack Suggestions/Help

From my experience, if a networking device isn't wide enough to fit, it'll usually come with brackets that'll fit on the sides making it wide enough to mount in the rack.  I've never had an 1841 one though, so I can't speak from experience with that particular device.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Please let us know how well that rack accommodates your hardware.  I've been thinking about building something more 'portable' for doing some demonstrations and speaking gigs, and that might fit the bill.

If you can, post pics with your gear mounted in there, when you're setup.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Seen

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:13 pm

lorddicranius wrote:From my experience, if a networking device isn't wide enough to fit, it'll usually come with brackets that'll fit on the sides making it wide enough to mount in the rack.  I've never had an 1841 one though, so I can't speak from experience with that particular device.

The 1841 was never meant to be rack mounted.  There is an adapter, but it's over 60 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-1841-Rack-Mount-Shelf-Kit-First-Gen-CK-1841-RACK-/370556461252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5646e2e0c4

I can afford the $60, but it sort of defeats the purpose of buying the cheap rack.

So here are my options:

1.  Buy the adapter for $60 and put it in the rack
2.  Buy a different rack that's more expensive but not slanted, and a shelf for the 1841
3.  Hope that someone here has a better, "cheaper" idea ;)

Any thoughts?
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

rattis

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:42 pm

I really like the skel-tec racks. I have one. semi modular. the shelf was pretty cheap. They have power supplies now. so i'm going to get one of those for my cisco equipment.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hell_razor

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Cheap option:

Use the adhesive velcro and stick it to the top device in the rack.  Won't slide off easily and not too hard to return to original condition.  ~$1-2.  A little ghetto, but it works in a pinch.
A+, Network+, Server+, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GPEN, GCIA, GISP, GCFW
<<

Seen

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 pm

hell_razor wrote:Cheap option:

Use the adhesive velcro and stick it to the top device in the rack.  Won't slide off easily and not too hard to return to original condition.  ~$1-2.  A little ghetto, but it works in a pinch.

I was actually thinking about that this morning, but I was worried that the routers might get hot and the velcro might melt to the router.  In high school I had a friend who velcroed his CD player to the dash and it melted to it because of the sun.  While I realize I won't have to worry about the sun, do I have to worry about the routers getting too hot and causing this?  If you've done this and had no problems just let me know!
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

hell_razor

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 pm

If you have to worry about that, something else is going way wrong.  :)  It should not be a problem.
<<

Seen

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure  :)
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

Seen

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Can anyone recommend a good rack power strip for $40-$50?

I'm only going to be using my lab for 1-3 hours a day, and I'll turn it off after that, so I'd like something easy to switch on and off.  Also, I'd like a little surge protection if possible in that price range.

Is it better to put the power strip on the top or bottom of the rack, or does it matter?
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

hell_razor

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Just keep it away from network cables and make sure it and the rack are grounded when possible and you will be fine.  I would put it on the bottom with some cable management. I think we used Tripp-Lites at my last gig, but they were over the $50 mark.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/mo ... delID=2004
<<

jsloan1223

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 am

Ya know, if your device is not meant to be rack mountable, it usually comes with little rubber feet. Just set it on top of the pile in the rack. Unless you have to move the rack around a bunch, you don't even need velcro.

Similarly, on the cheap, since you only have 7 devices, have you considered a reliable but inexpensive surge strip (or two) and some foam tape? Just stick it in the rack somewhere where it won't in the way.

Caution: The cheapest options tend to be only outlet strips and do not provide surge protection.
<<

Seen

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 am

Unfortunately, space is limited, so I'm setting the rack in a corner by the dining room table.  As a result, I'll probably have to move it a lot when company comes over.

On the plus side, here's the rack power strip/surge protector I decided on:

http://www.buy.com/prod/cyberpower-cps-rackmount-pdu-surge-15a-cps1215rms-from-cyber-power/205851281.html
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

rattis

Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:56 am

Seen wrote:Unfortunately, space is limited, so I'm setting the rack in a corner by the dining room table.  As a result, I'll probably have to move it a lot when company comes over.

I would definitely get something on wheels then. My skeletek (got the name wrong above), is nice for that. Little hard to move on carpet, but could probably replace the wheels that come with it for larger from a hardware store.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Seen

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:44 am

hayabusa wrote:Please let us know how well that rack accommodates your hardware.  I've been thinking about building something more 'portable' for doing some demonstrations and speaking gigs, and that might fit the bill.

If you can, post pics with your gear mounted in there, when you're setup.

I got my rack setup last weekend.  Pretty simple and straightforward.  I'll post a pic this weekend.
Sec+, eCPPT
Next

Return to Hardware