WarVox and Asterisk

<<

venom77

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:22 am

WarVox and Asterisk

Does anyone have experience setting up WarVox to work via Asterisk?

I have an Asterisk server setup that is accepting both SIP and IAX2 (of which I have created accounts for each). I am able to call from one to the other internally so can call from my IAX2/warvox account to my SIP/bill account (and vice-versa) via softphones.

I have purchased an account with a VoIP provider that does not directly support IAX2, they support SIP (hence why I'm trying to set this up). I have configured Asterisk to work with this service and can also make external calls (to landlines) from either my IAX2 or SIP softphones.

When I plug the information into WarVox (1.2) running on BT5R1 x86, I am unable to successfully make a call (internal or external). Every attempt comes up as "Fail=1" and 0/1 answered.

Reviewing a successful call vs. WarVox call in wireshark, it appears that WarVox is being rejected by my Asterisk server.. I see it do a 'REGREQ' (assume that's a Registration Request) then a 'NEW' call but it receives a 'REGREJ' followed by a 'REJECT.' My guess is that the registration request is being rejected followed by the call attempt being rejected.

Any thoughts?
<<

venom77

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:26 am

Re: WarVox and Asterisk

The 'REGREQ' packets appear to be the same between WarVox and the softphone - the only difference there is the time to refresh the registration (300 in WarVox and 60 softphone).

Also the 'NEW' packet in WarVox passes an empty 'Name of caller' and entirely omits a bunch of other stuff that's included from the softphone. It does seem the important pieces are there though: protocol, calling number, username for auth, number being called, originally dialed dnid.
<<

venom77

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Finally got it working :)

Thanks to the tip here:
http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/us ... ate-solved

In /etc/asterisk/iax_general_custom.conf add:

calltokenoptional = 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
maxcallnumbers = 16382
<<

venom77

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Probably worth noting the best version of WarVox to run currently is 1.0.1 (the 'stable' release) - from what I've seen anyway. The SVN version (1.9.9-dev) has some bugs as expected. My biggest complaint is that it isn't properly handling multiple numbers. If you provide anything beyond a single number to dial it just comes back with an error of 'unable to dial number.'

For those interested, here were my steps to get 1.9.9 running properly on BT5R1:

cd /pentest/telephony/
svn co http://metasploit.com/svn/warvox/trunk/
mv trunk warvox2
cd warvox2

update-alternatives --config ruby (select 0 for auto)

cp /pentest/telephony/warvox/lib/kissfft.so ./lib/

apt-get install postgresql-8.4
apt-get install postgresql-contrib-8.4
apt-get install libpq-dev

su - postgres
psql template1
\i /usr/share/postgresql/8.4/contrib/_int.sql
exit

su - postgres
createuser warvox
createdb warvox -O warvox
psql
alter user warvox with password 'password';
exit

vi web/config/database.yml (set port to 5432)
vi etc/warvox.conf (change user/pass if you want)

make

bin/warvox.rb --address 0.0.0.0 (to listen on all and access remote)

For the stable version, it's a bit easier

cd /pentest/telephony/
wget http://warvox.org/releases/warvox-1.0.1.tar.gz
tar -xvzf warvox-1.0.1.tar.gz
mv warvox-1.0.1 warvox2
cd warvox2

cp /pentest/telephony/warvox/lib/kissfft.so ./lib/

apt-get install sqlite3-ruby

vi etc/warvox.conf (change user/pass if you want)

make

bin/warvox.rb --address 0.0.0.0 (to listen on all and access remote)

Hope it helps save someone some headache.. ;-)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 am

Glad we could be of help.  ;)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Haha, of course :)

For reference, I used VoicePulse as my VoIP provider for this engagement.

The service and setup with their part went smoothly and I was happy with the cost per call ($0.011/minute). I didn't have any problems with their service and would recommend it (if you have the time to setup an Asterisk server, or already have one).

The only downside is that they require a $10 monthly minimum usage and a $2.95 monthly regulatory fee. The entire cost to use what I needed for my engagement was well under $10. This just means I had to cancel my account and would have to go through their setup process again to use their service the next time.

While I didn't use it for this engagement, an alternative (and probably easier option) is Vitelity. They still support direct IAX2 connections but you will need to call in to their customer support and let them know you need this capability so they can flag your account for IAX2 use. I believe their cost per minute is similar (and my guess is they have the same regulatory fee but I don't know about any minimums). The only difference is you can use WarVox directly with their service rather than having to setup an Asterisk service (like I said, much easier).

Enjoy :)
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 am

Update for anyone looking for information on using warvox (since there's not much out there), another good provider to select is Rapidvox as they allow direct connections from warvox. No additional asterisk or anything provided. Sign up for an account, enter credentials into warvox, and away you go.

Return to Network Pen Testing