Vista Released to Manufacturing

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:37 pm

Vista Released to Manufacturing

The code for Windows Vista has finally been released to manufacturing, Jim Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's platforms and services division, announced in a media teleconference on Nov. 8.

The team had signed off on the final code at around 10 a.m. PST on Nov. 8, Allchin said, adding that "this is an incredible, happy day; it's exciting for us. Vista is rock solid and we are ready to ship. This is a significant milestone for Microsoft and our partners."

"The RTM [release to manufacturing] signifies the next phase for Windows Vista. Our development work is done and now the progress begins for the PC and device manufacturers and software developers to finalize the work on their products and applications," he said.

While Microsoft has made some big claims about Vista, Allchin said he truly believes the company would deliver them.

Vista also brings a number of firsts with it: the first time that a broad array of customer SKUs, all targeted at different customer segments, will be available on a single DVD image, which is a "significant accomplishment," Allchin claimed.

This is also the first time that Microsoft has been able to release five languages simultaneously at RTM time, two more than it has been able to do before.

"The French, Spanish and Japanese versions were, in fact, signed off before English, which is another first," Allchin said.

"The product will be available in 18 languages by the January release time. We will ship 36 languages within 100 days of the U.S. English RTM, and when we are done we will have basically 100 languages, which is an amazing accomplishment."

Windows Vista supports more hardware than any other version, with hundreds of OEMs and thousands of system builder partners who will all install Vista. Microsoft expects about 50 percent more device driver coverage at RTM than Windows XP had, with thousands more coming through Windows Update.

"So, big claims and I think we are delivering on them," Allchin said, adding that, from a quality perspective, Microsoft thinks about the product in three different categories: performance, reliability and security.

With regard to performance, Vista has a number of new technologies, from SuperFetch to ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive, innovations that the company claims will keep people's machines performing well over time, with their systems continuing to run better.

The focus on power management and "sleep" optimizations not only save power and money, but give users the quick "on" and "off" experience they have been wanting for years, Allchin said.

There was also "no question" that Vista was the most reliable system Microsoft had ever shipped, having undergone more testing than any product or operating system ever shipped by the company, he said.

There have been some 16 technical previews since beta one, with millions of downloads of the pre-release versions of the product. There are also more than 60,000 machines inside Microsoft running Vista, which was more than at any other Windows RTM time.

For full story:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,20 ... 10906EP18A

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:36 pm

Re: Vista Released to Manufacturing

sweet,
lets start a pool on how long it will be for the first patch for that OS...
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:06 am

I give them the in till the first MS patch day and there will be all kinds of updates. Then I would guess 8 months till service pack 1 for Vista hits the market. I guess we will see how this pans out. It might be a chance for linux to get a stronger foot hold on desktops if there is to many issues.

Slimjim100
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

hades_a

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:02 am

Hola All,

I have been running Vista RC2 for the past couple of weeks and find it quite stable and usable... at this point I would not want to go back to XP SP2.

If only they would get all the necessary hardware drivers ready we would not need the many workarounds we have been dealing with 3rd party devices which do not have an MS partnership.

On the whole though there will be a few patches once its relaeased but I still think its the best OS yet.

I am sure you will all disagree... so please go ahead :-)

Later

C
MCSE 2003:Security, Security+, MCITP:EA
<<

mn_kthompson

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:24 pm

There is also a guide to securing your Vista installation to go with that new software they're releasing.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/security/guide.mspx

Return to Other