[Article]-November 2011 Free Giveaway Sponsor - Black Hat Events

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 pm

[Article]-November 2011 Free Giveaway Sponsor - Black Hat Events

Hey All,

Another month, another prize worth $1000s. This time though, we need participation in a slightly different way. Please fill out BH's survey for us. It'll really help. Spreading the word would be kewl, too.

Much appreciated,
Don

Permanent link: [Article]-November 2011 Free Giveaway Sponsor - Black Hat Events

Win Ticket to the Black Hat Event of Your Choice!!

As a long time friend and supporter of EH-Net, when Black Hat asked for some help, we immediately said yes. It's this type of cooperation that helped us grow, and we're more than happy to reciprocate and be part of an even larger professional hacking community. But that means we need your help. We could really use everyone reading this to fill out the quick survey. They'd like to know which events you've attended and which online security publications you read -- all part of giving them critical guidance on what Black Hat has to offer. And they've kept it short! Only Five questions! Just click 'em off, and you're entered to win this month's Giveaway, a free pass for full conference admission to the Black Hat event of your choice between now and the end of 2013.

Much thanks in advance as you'll be helping EH-Net and Black Hat, and for that you could be the winner of the Free Monthly Giveaway mentioned above worth upwards of $2600! It's slightly different from what we've done in the past, as we're trying to get the opinion of all EH-Netters, not just members. But, considering the size of the prizes we've been offering the last few months, we hope you don't mind us asking for a little help in return. Fill out the survey, post in your blogs, RT, etc. It couldn't be easier, and you'd really be lending a helping hand.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

rattis

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: [Article]-November 2011 Free Giveaway Sponsor - Black Hat Events

that was painless. wish I could have said I'd been to more cons, but meh.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

r2s

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Complete!  ;D
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

Triban

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:42 pm

I seldomly go to the big ones since I have hardly been at a company that would pay for them (cheap bastards).  :D  Maybe I'll get lucky. 
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

p0et

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Filled out the survey but I had to say that I've never been to ANY event before.  (my company is also too cheap to send me anywhere and I have no money to pay out of pocket)
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

eth3real

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:26 pm

My company also does not pay (or help) for me to go to any conventions.

I was actually planning on going to Black Hat next year, and then realized that other cons are 1/10 the price of Black Hat, and since I'm paying with my own money, decided I would be better off going to DefCon, ShmooCon, and DerbyCon.

Speaking of ShmooCon, I happened to get a ticket today. Lucky me! ;D
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

n3r

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

done !
I haven't been to any event but i plan to go to Night of Hack in Paris.
<<

p0et

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:13 pm

I think I'm just living in a horrible place (location wise) for the conventions.  I'm as west as you can get in Canada. (Vancouver Island)  Way too expensive to fly to any of the cheap cons.  One year I may go to the cheapest place (Vegas) for DefCon as I've still never been there.
<<

SephStorm

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Here here. I havent attended a con yet. At the very least i'll try to attend Carolinacon next year.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

Triban

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:05 am

I highly recommend trying to hit up a Bsides event, they are a wealth of information but don't carry the high cost of the big cons (free registration).  If you haven't seen one in your area, you can always try to host one yourself.  We did here in CT through our local hackerspace.  It was a decent time.  I am making my way down to Delaware next week for the BsidesDE 2 day event.  At most I pay tolls, gas and hotel oh and food.

Next year I may even look at Derbycon if my budget can afford me additional time off. 
(@)Dewser
<<

p0et

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm

How is DefCon?  I've always heard that one is the most popular and everyone talks about it but is it worth the flight, hotel, food, etc.. to go to Vegas just for that?  It seems the cheapest place for me to fly to from here is Vegas.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks to all who filled out the survey. We could always use more data. So even those who are not members but are readers, we also consider you EH-Netters. Please help out and do the survey. It's just a few minutes and you could join us next year in Vegas!!

Don
<<

SephStorm

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:50 am

Just an fyi, I am chomping at the bit to hear the results fom last months giveaway. :p I think the last 1 came out around the 19th.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:54 am

For the Mile2 Giveaway from last month, there are 12 prizes with 2 of them larger than the other 10. I've already contacted the top 2 winners. 1 has accepted and I'm waiting on the second. For those who are new to EH-Net, we usually try to make sure that the winner can use the prize. If not, then we reward it to someone else who can. That's why it sometimes takes a little longer to find out. I just hate when prizes go unused when someone else in the community could have benefited from it.

Since there are so many winners, I'll just let the other 10 find out when we publish the announcement article.

Hang in there. If I hear back from the second person, then I'll post it all today!

Don
<<

Triban

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:57 am

p0et wrote:How is DefCon?  I've always heard that one is the most popular and everyone talks about it but is it worth the flight, hotel, food, etc.. to go to Vegas just for that?  It seems the cheapest place for me to fly to from here is Vegas.

Luckily DEFCON does not have the heavy price tag of black hat.  So there is that.  Also during that same week there is usually a BsidesLV event happening which is a good time.  I think if you have never been, it is worth at least a trip once.  I am not sure if I will try to make it in 2012 since I am already taking an unpaid week off to attend RSA.  I figure its a great networking investment plus I never been to San Francisco.  If between now and DEFCON I end up in a position where the company will pay for it, I will most likely go.  I also have a wife who is jealous of my travel but lacks the understanding that I will be in total hacker geekdom during the days at these events and will be not be able to entertain her.
(@)Dewser
Next

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net