Hi all I need an advice about the oscp

<<

URISHAMAY

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi all I need an advice about the oscp

Hi all
My name is Uri I am sys-admin with a lot of experiences and knowledge in networking with all the aspects of this.
Holding the cissp and ceh certification.
I am abit familiar with backtrack and some tools.
I don’t have any experiences with programming….I can understand code but  in this filed I have very little knowledge
I won't to assign to the oscp lab (60days) and take the exam.
I am married and having family and full time job. I can learn about 3-5 hours every day.
What do you think? Honestly ….am I qualified to take the course and the exam?
Thank you all
cissp , ceh , mcse , cne , ccsa
<<

URISHAMAY

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Hi all I need an advice about the oscp

one more...my knowledge in unix is  little knowledge  :(
<<

alucian

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:16 pm

To respond to your question. I do not know your family, but if you think that you'll be allowed to study 3-5 hrs a day... either you are one of those guys that are sleeping 2-4 hrs a night (Kevin Johnson) or you your wife is really different.

With CISSP and CEH you are ready to start the course. To pass the exam is a different story.

My advice will be to buy the course with one month lab access. During this time study it. After one month build your own lab and practice (there are a lot of well made target available to download from the internet). After this go back and buy more lab time. You'll know when you are ready.

My own experience is that I bought it with 2 months access. Because I am in your position too (family, job, problems), I didn't had enough time and motivation to study a lot. I didn't even tried the exam because I knew I wasn't ready.
After the end of the lab time, I studied some subjects I was not strong enough. In one months or two I will buy another month of lab time. After this I will try the exam.

My goal is to learn something not just to pass the exam. I have enough certs in order to bypass any HR filter, but they didnt't provided me enough knowledge. OSCP and the other practical certs really made me learn a lot.

Good luck!
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

TheXero

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:26 pm

OSCP for the win!

I must admit, I really struggled in the lab.

Sure I easily met all of the prerequisites in terms of technical details, but the try harder bit really got to me.

I initially signed up for the 60 days of lab tme, but no way felt like I could pass the exam so got the 30 day extension.

In the last 10-15 days of time, not exactly sure what happened but I seemed to have alot more ideas and I was popping like 2-3 boxes a day until I began to write up my documentation.

I was spending between 8-10 hours in the lab ever single day and it is extremely tiring, so it is not an easy walk in the park.

I would highly recommend it if you really want to learn some new skills within information security, but honestly you WILL have to try harder to the point where you just want to give up.
<<

URISHAMAY

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:04 am

thank you
I realize that I will need a lot of self study and time
But …it is a  course! No? I need and I want that "someone" video, chat and more will explain to me and if I did not understand something he will give me direction how to solve it.

I'm afraid that they will "leave me in the dark".
I pied money to learn, and to get help with the learning stuff.

Cissp was hard to and I passed it, I am hopping first of all to get a lot of knowledge and second to pass the exam
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:44 am

Yes, it's a course, and they are there to help.

BUT...  It's expected that you'll do a LOT of research, on your own.  While they are there to HELP you, they are not there to hold your hand, and explain every question you might have.

Part of the experience is learning what you'll need, skillwise, for 'real life' pentesting, where you'll often find a situation with no 'obvious' vulnerabilities, or even known ones.  In the interest of time, you'll have to figure things out for yourself.  You won't have time to try to find folks to help you understand.

So yes, they will help, but they aren't going to simply walk you through every exploit, etc.

Good luck, good learning, and above all else...

"Try harder"
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

p0et

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:24 pm

Hey urishamay.  I haven't taken it but from what I heard, this is a great course but TOUGH.  It will certainly consume every spare hour you have in your life until you complete it.  Here's a review: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,1152.0/
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

URISHAMAY

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks all
What about the programming skills witch I don't have at all!
No scripting as well.
Is it must to know pre requirements
i can learn i gess but its not excaly mt cop of tea.
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:27 pm

You'll figure it out...
<<

URISHAMAY

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 pm

thank u.
i am starting the course in 06-11-11  :)
wish me luck i will need it i guess
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:22 pm

URISHAMAY wrote:thank u.
i am starting the course in 06-11-11  :)
wish me luck i will need it i guess

There will come a point when you will feel like calling it quits. And the constant refrain of " Try Harder" won't help either. At that point, take a break, clear your mind and start again. Rinse and repeat.

Have fun. It's GREAT course.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:53 am

Dark_Knight speaks the truth...  Break time is very valuable, especially when you get to the exam.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional