Blackbuntu

<<

n3r

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:17 am

Blackbuntu

Someone knows about this OS ? And the differences with Backtrack ?

http://www.blackbuntu.com/

<<

WCNA

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:22 am

Re: Blackbuntu

The main difference is (was) Gnome. I use it as well as BT5. There's more distros for security out there you may want to look into.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

n3r

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:30 am

So there is no difference ? There isn't tools running specificaly for Blackbuntu ?
I've downloaded it in order to run it in a VM and i'll see if i like it.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 am

As far as I know, there isn't a list of tools for BackTrack like there is for Blackbuntu:

http://www.blackbuntu.com/tools-list

One could fire up BackTrack and cross check with the above list though.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:14 pm

BackTrack has more custom fixes, injection drivers, standardized tools, etc., by default. Of course, BackTrack isn't error free, but they've been around for +5 years, while Blackbuntu is relatively new, along with others. What I see is basically just a copy of BackTrack that's black.

BackTrack probably has better support for more systems too out of the box I believe, and all extras that takes up space has been removed too, to make the ISO as small as possible without damaging the main functionality either. Of course, it isn't as small as it used to be, as now it's also meant to be "installable".

Another great thing is the updated repositories for people using the commercial version, that includes customization options too. (That however is mostly meant for businesses that requires some sort of official support they can contact in case of problems with the actual OS.)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:19 pm

MaXe wrote:Another great thing is the updated repositories for people using the commercial version, that includes customization options too. (That however is mostly meant for businesses that requires some sort of official support they can contact in case of problems with the actual OS.)

Wait, what?  There's a commercial version of BackTrack?
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:14 pm

lorddicranius wrote:
MaXe wrote:Another great thing is the updated repositories for people using the commercial version, that includes customization options too. (That however is mostly meant for businesses that requires some sort of official support they can contact in case of problems with the actual OS.)

Yes, the only difference is that you have access to the most recent updates, customization, and of course, the opportunity to buy business support in case your company requires this.

You can read more here: https://www.backtrack-linux.com/

And you can see how a customized ISO could look like here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGKnMemi83Y

:)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:54 pm

MaXe wrote:
lorddicranius wrote:

Yes, the only difference is that you have access to the most recent updates, customization, and of course, the opportunity to buy business support in case your company requires this.

hah Cool.  I'll have to check that video out tonight.  Thanks for enlightening me :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

n3r

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 am

MaXe wrote:

Did you try the custom ISO ?
<<

p0et

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:42 am

Just had a quick look at Blackbuntu.  Looks like there's some stability issues mentioned and bugs (which can be fixed) relating to backspacing in the terminal and broadcom network adapters.  There's obviously a much larger community base with BackTrack though.  Maybe I'll see how the tool list compares.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

MaXe

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:35 pm

lorddicranius wrote:hah Cool.  I'll have to check that video out tonight.  Thanks for enlightening me :)

No problem  ;D

n3r wrote:Did you try the custom ISO ?

Of course! It works great  ;D I use that most of the time, just because it feels more like "home", even though I could've easily downloaded the official version and modified that, but since I already got a modified version now, I am just using that  :)

The modified version is of course larger, I guess mostly because I included all the vulnerability scanners too, but I haven't run across any bugs except that since I used it in VMware, the (VMware) tools were not installed, but that's not a bug, as they provide ISO's you can burn or install  ;)
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to Tools