GPEN & GWAPT & GAWN or Bachelor degree?

<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:17 pm

GPEN & GWAPT & GAWN or Bachelor degree?

I was speaking with my parents and they gave me an option..pay for me to finish my bachelors or..pay for 3 SANS certs.

#1) I just started my NOC/ linux support position..so by the end of next year I would have 15 months experience and maybe 3 SANS certs..

or
#2) I could finish my bachelors

What would you guys do?

Could I get some type of info sec/ jr pentest gig with option 1?
OSCP in progress
<<

idr0p

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: GPEN & GWAPT & GAWN or Bachelor degree?

I posted the the other forum also, but B.S. definitely
GCIA GCIH GPEN GWAPT
Up Next: CISA CISSP
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Yeah I saw, thanks again for the input.
OSCP in progress
<<

Darktaurus

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 am

You probably have already decided but I agree with the second choice, Bachelors.  It will help in the long run even though people argue the contrary. 
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:25 am

<nod> Bachelors.  Certs still come with time.  Not finishing your Bachelors would, IMHO, be something you'd regret, personally, over time, not only for possible missed career opportunities and opened doors, but out of simple personal experiences. 

I can tell you that I have NO degree.  While it certainly hasn't stopped me, there have been more times than I can count, where I wish I'd gone to college.  (Even now, sometimes, but that's another, and much longer, story...)

Once you have your degree, settle into a good position somewhere, and you can work on getting employers to help with costs for certs, and / or save for and get them yourselves.

Good luck with your endeavors.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Triban

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:47 am

Another +1 to the Bachelors.  Although the SANS courses are enticing :D  but go get a job that will pay for them and you win :D  Ok that sounds too easy.  It took me like 10 years to get a job that would finally cough up the 4K for a SANS course, sadly it only lasted about 9 months since they outsourced us all, yeah even the Security engineer :p but got a SANS course, GIAC cert and an iPad out of the deal, not too bad.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

r2s

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:15 am

Another +1 for Bachelors. As with diamonds, Bachelors degrees have no expiration. You always have time to take new certs.
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 am

Sorry if I made it sound like I wouldnt get my bachelors..if I choose the SANS route...I was just put my school on hold for a year (until I finished the 3 SANS certs) then continue with my bachelors...I was hoping 3 SANS certs and showing Im currently in school on my resume would maybe help me land a jr pentest job.

thanks everyone for the feedback
OSCP in progress
<<

ziggy_567

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 am

I'm not sure that 3 SANS certs with no experience is going to make a big impression on a hiring manager. It may get you through the HR filters, but I think most hiring managers are going to ask you about it in the interview process.

Neither is a bad way to go professionally. Education is never a bad thing whether its from a certifying body or an academic insitution.

Personally, I'd get my college paid for so I could graduate with no debt. Then take the amount you would be paying to your student loan lender and save that toward your certifications. You'd be amazed how quickly you'll save the money to get the certs. Plus, you won't be overpaying because 95% of your payment is paying interest instead of principal!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+

Return to Career Central