Seeking advice for obtaining I.T. contract work overseas

<<

securitytech123

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:25 am

Seeking advice for obtaining I.T. contract work overseas

I would appreciate any advice for obtaining I.T. contract work in Afghanistan. (Open to any position/location overseas though) Willing to travel up to 100%
Currently, I have the following Certifications: Net+/Security+/CEH-Certified Ethical Hacker (Associates in Computer Science) I also am seeking advice on obtaining the appropriate security clearance/ as well as advice regarding Head-Hunters, etc.
Currently I'm doing Help-Desk Support for Comcast. (8-years)
Thanks in advance...
Michael
<<

WCNA

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Re: Seeking advice for obtaining I.T. contract work overseas

Hi Michael,
Welcome to EH.net. I'm probably the least qualified person to answer your question but it looks like you're new here and I didn't want to leave you with the impression we aren't a helpful bunch here.

This is only what I've heard so take it with a pound of salt. First, getting a security clearance is a big expense for a company and unless they really, really want you, it's unlikely you'll get one. It seems most of those overseas jobs go to former military people that already have the clearance and overseas experience.

I believe there is a website (was it usajobs.com?) that specializes in that type of stuff. Also try Halliburton, Bechtel, etc. An hour or two of google searching should provide some good answers. I seem to remember it was 6 months tours/ 1 month off. From what I've seen posted, the qualifications are very specific, working in technologies I've never heard of.

Now that I've probably discouraged you (sorry), good luck with the job search.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

lorddicranius

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:09 am

GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:45 am

Sorry to hijack the thread, but when has the gov't ever done anything better than the private sector? I'd bet on entrepreneurs and those with hacker mindsets every time. I'll stop now before I get on a roll.  :-X
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 pm

++1 @don
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

p0et

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:41 am

I was looking at this at one point as well.  It seems that most of the jobs in that area of the world are aimed towards Fed Gov't jobs with security clearances or DoD jobs BUT there are a few IT jobs I've seen in the past.  You may already have these sites but just in case...

http://www.dangerzonejobs.com/artman/pu ... ndex.shtml
http://www.civiliancontractorjobs.com/
http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/Afg ... html&nbsp; (currently there's network admin, system admin and dba type jobs)

Good luck!
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

securitytech123

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks for the Reply p0et. I'll look into those sites.
On a related topic: I understand that 'getting into the contracting circle' overseas is the hard part. Once in, the options will become available once a person is already over there..  Any thoughts on how to break into that Circle? (Willing to do any job/travel/etc) 
Thanks in advance:)

Return to Career Central