Metasploit Community Edition

<<

MaXe

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 am

Metasploit Community Edition

What has been only available for Metasploit Pro users for a while, has finally become available to free (community) users as well!

Rapid7 has as of today introduced a (CE) Community Edition of Metasploit, which is of course not 100% as good as the Pro version, but it does contain that very smooth GUI, which appears to be quite stable and with just a few quirks. Naturally, the console is still prefered by many, which also feels more like real hacking, however the GUI seems to give a really nice overview as well.

Several years ago I remember how Metasploit was, and I even read the documentation for version 3 and parts of version 2. What I liked the most, were case studies in various books on how to create these Metasploit modules, which seemed a lot harder back then, though even a newbie could of course learn the basics quite fast. (See http://guides.intern0t.net/msf2.php )

As I haven't fully tested the GUI out yet, I'm not sure how well it integrates with NeXpose which ALSO has a great community edition, but my guess is that it probably does.

I can't wait to try out the GUI, as I believe it may speed up the process of pentesting, especially when you're e.g., searching for modules to use.

Some things in the console, has never been that easy to navigate around or through, even though it has always been possible, choosing the right module and issuing "info" for several modules surely has been time consuming.

Reference:
https://community.rapid7.com/community/ ... ty-edition
Last edited by MaXe on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Metasploit Community Edition

Thanks for the heads up, MaXe :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Wondered when it would be coming...  I was contacted by Rapid7, the other day, with regards to swaying me to purchase.  While it's definitely on my list, I didn't have the funds handy, and mentioned to them that in the meantime, should I need a GUI, I'd use Armitage, and would otherwise be using Metasploit Framework, as I'm proficient enough to not use the GUI much, anyway.  (Thanks muts and OSCP!!!)

But before we hung up, the Rapid7 guy dropped a little hint about Metasploit's GUI being 'so much better', as if to say something might be coming for community.

Will have to download and test this out.

Thanks.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for the update.
OSCP in progress

Return to Tools