Has anyone read BackTrack 5 wireless pentesting?

<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Has anyone read BackTrack 5 wireless pentesting?

I would like to know what you thought about the book? I read some amazon reviews, but I always find EH members a little more helpful.
OSCP in progress
<<

n3r

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Has anyone read BackTrack 5 wireless pentesting?

I've ordered it but not received yet  :)
<<

r2s

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:23 am

I currently have it on my kindle but have not broke into it (as usual with most of my security books  ;D). I will definitely try to voice my opinion on it when I get the chance.

I was thinking about coupling the readings with Vivek's videos and hopefully take the OSWP as soon as it updated. Knowing the quality of Vivek's videos, I am 100% certain this should be a good read!
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:02 am

I agree if its anything like the video I think it would be a good read. I don't have copy myself as in my job we don't get a lot of wireless test.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:52 am

I went through a couple of his videos, bought the alfa card, and now I'll probably buy the book too. Just like you mentioned, I wouldnt expect anything but great things with this book. And dont forget to post your thoughts whenver youre done! thanks!
OSCP in progress
<<

strana

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:42 am

The videos from the author are top grade! You cant find better videos on the net then those on wireless security. Also he is in wireless security for a long time, and he worked in cisco on one of their switches (catalyst).

The book is on my shelf from day first when it arrived in stores and I must say its a "must buy".

Now combining those two it was logical to me to sign up for the "SecurityTube Wireless Security Expert" certification launched on the SecurityTube by the author. The "class" begins very soon (15th) and I cant wait to start with the process of certification (as a current student it will look good on my CV). If someone is interested in taking a look at the certification program here is the link with all the information about it:

http://www.securitytube.net/certifications
<<

n3r

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:10 am

I've just received the book  :)

So i just started to read it. It's very easy to read as the author didn't write too much theory but instead he put a lot of screenschots of all the commands and results.

The Chapter 1 is an "how to get ready ?" it tells about the Wireless Lab and how to configure it. Basic stuff like installing Backtrack. Set up the wireless card...

After this chapter you go into the WLAN world and its insecurities. You'll learn sniffing wireless packets, packet injection...

Chapter 3 is Bypassing WLAN authentification such as mac filter...

Well, the book is a progression from what is WLAN to how to do a MITM attack, hikacking, attacking WPA-enterprise.

In each chapter you have a short introduction of what you'll learn. The demonstration and explanations of the attack, an exercise to do and a quizz (answers are at the end of the book).

Chapters are very short, about 20 pages, but as the author said :                   "less theory, more results".
<<

albatr0ss

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:40 am

Well, I still didn't receive my hard copy from Packt but have read the pdf... The book is good. It's a lot about practice and very little about theory. You are guided step by step into setting up a BT machine and AP with WEP/WEP SKA and WPA encryption and attacking them. There are also some neat tricks about WPA AP.
I suggest reading the book after you know the theory... look at the videos on securitytube.net first there is a very good explanation about 802.11 frames and encryption algorithms.
As for the OSWP exam, I did it a month ago and the information given in this book are far too much more then what you'll need. For OSWP stick on the course material and you'll be done.
If you want a harder challenge you could give SWSE a try...
OSWP
<<

n3r

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:22 am

What do they ask in OSWP ?
Cracking WEP/WPA ? Doing a mitm attack or create rogue access point ?
<<

albatr0ss

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 am

Have a look at the syllabus and you will know. They won't ask nothing else more that is in the course material... :)
OSWP
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:53 am

Sounds like a must buy. I personally like the books that walk you through an example and actually show you how to do, instead of just talking about it. I saw that it was already on safari books, so I get to read it now  ;D

Do a lot of you use Safari-books? I swear almost all of the security books are on their but reading on a laptop can get annoying.
OSCP in progress
<<

WCNA

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 am

I've read the book cover to cover. It's like a cookbook where the recipe to attack wireless is laid out step by step. I plan on getting the kindle version as well so I'll have it as a reference guide whenever I need to remember some step or command.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 am

<nod>  I think it's a great read, and hit on a lot of topics, in a bit more detail / helpful way, than other books and materials I've read on wireless hacking.

As always, 'hats off' to vivek.  ;D
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:11 pm

It's pretty amazing that Vivek doesnt charge anything for the megaprimers. Most places would charge anywhere from 300-600. I like his style :D
OSCP in progress
<<

albatr0ss

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Yep, the wifi videos are really great! The best part so far is the theorical part on 802.11 frames and WEP algorithm... (i am around video 14)
OSWP
Next

Return to Book Reviews